the benefits of raising a family in a small town | Teen Ink

the benefits of raising a family in a small town

52% of stable families live in small towns in the U.S. Living in a small town is so much better to have a family in, rather than in a city.  Furthermore, there are many benefits of living in a small town rather than a city. Such as raising kids in a small town can allow them to be more free and independent and spend more time with their friends, LIving in a small town means you're living more in a giant family rather than a place where you don't know your neighbors name, and finally when you live in a small town the environment is much safer than living in a more crime ridden city. 

Raising kids in a small town can allow them to be more free and independent and spend more time with their friends. In a small town you can feel more comfortable doing things like, letting your kid play outside, Letting your kid go and hang out with some friends around town, and allow your kids to go to their friends from school’s house. Furthermore, you can do things like this because when living in a small town more common than not  most people tend to know you and you tend to know most people. That's just how it is.  Also, you can worry less about your kids getting into trouble and you not knowing about it, Because in a small town everyone knows everyone's business. There is also more than you think, to do with your kids in a small town, as the article from “theeverymom.com” “The Benefits of Raising a Family in a Small Town” say’s “Small towns have more to offer young families than most realize. I used to think you had to live in a larger suburb to find activities for kids, and I now know I was wrong — our town throws its own parades, national nights out, chili dinners, pumpkin patches, market days, and so much more.” Overall, the benefits of raising kids in a small town is great and you just can't get an environment like that in a large city.

LIving in a small town means you're living more in a giant family rather than a place where you don't know your neighbors name. In a small town community is everything, if someone loses a member of their family communities get together to make dinners and meals for the family, and comfort them through times like that. Also, communities in a small town More often than not most everyone knows each other. Small towns have parades and festivals, markets and gatherings. All to become closer as a community. The vibe in a small town just can't be beat by any large city. This quote by Joyce Dennys perfectly sums up the relationship of  small towns “Living in a small town...is like living in a large family of rather uncongenial relations. Sometimes it’s fun, and sometimes it’s perfectly awful, but it’s always good for you. People in large towns are like only-children.” As you can see, the community, the relationships, the sense of family is unmatched in a small town. 

When you live in a small town the environment is much safer than living in a more crime ridden city. In small towns the crime is less not only because there are less people proportional there is less crime per person then most major large cities. Also, people don't want to hurt or steal from people they know. Furthermore, as Dallas McKay puts it ”It's hard to commit a crime, particularly a violent crime, against someone you know. And if you like and respect that person, you're going to have an even harder time.” This alone would drop the crime rate, but there are even more variables such as being easier to get caught with the low population, and the odds of being recognized are much higher. In summary the safety and the lack of crime should be enough alone to see why raising your family in a small town is better. 

Some people might say that living in the city makes it easier to get from place to place with everything being so close and many cheap ways of transportation, But the need for transportation such as a car is nothing compared to losing kids in a crowded city street or on a overpopulated subway. Furthermore, While it might be nice to not have to purchase a car, the cost of losing your family should be greater. Also, in a small town you should not even need to use much gas to get from place to place because most places will be in the center of your town. Also, it doesn't take long to get from place to place to get from place to place, a quote from parrys.com supports this saying, “ With fewer people comes less traffic. Cities can become congested with cars, and although there is still some traffic and congestion in small towns, it is nowhere near as hectic.”. Overall the benefits of transportation in a city can never be better than the risk of losing your kid. 

Life in small towns is safe, it's freeing, and it's like living in a giant family. If you need help or just someone to talk to, small towns can benefit, if you want to raise kids and start a family in a safe environment small towns are the place to be. While others might argue otherwise, there is just far too much evidence supporting my claim to even start to see the other side. In conclusion raising kids and starting families are better suited to be done in small towns.

My name is Conner and I belive that it truly is better to raise and have a family in a small town.