Types of High School Relationships | Teen Ink

Types of High School Relationships

By Nicpro787 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Nicpro787 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

When going through life we’ve all witnessed and maybe experienced this thing called love, sometimes even at a young age. Growing up we’d watch movies of people finding “the one” and it would always be displayed in the same old fashion way; (ASYNDETON) girl meets guy, guy falls for girl, they live happily ever after, the end. Then as we grew up and looked at all the new developing relationships you start to realize that actual relationships are not like the movies we grew up with and learned from, you know what they actually are like the movies, (OVERSTATEMENT) the horror movies. Everyone expresses their love in different ways and sometimes you look at them and you think “aww how cute!” and then other times you think “do they have to do this in public?” For the most part you’ll think and or hear these reactions in high school, because well that’s when everyone decided they need to start dating, and the most common types of relationships that get expressed in high school are: the too touchy, the on and off again, and the high school sweethearts.

The Too Touchy 

Every time you walk down the halls or even when you’re just trying to get into your classroom the PDA advocates are always there. With them it’s always (POLYSYNDETON)“i’m gonna miss you babe” and “make sure to text me” and “ok one last hug” They always try and very well succeed in making people around them either jealous or uncomfortable. Sometimes the too touchy couple does have the decency to act like they care that other people are watching them, and try to hide. Unfortunately their definition of hiding is going under the stairwell but only just barely or to hide around a pillar where people can still very much see them from the other side. And while we criticize this couple far too often we all know that we are probably jealous that they can express their feelings so openly or even that we’d be the too touchy couple, no matter, nothing will stop us from complaining loudly on how they should wait until they are actually in their own private space to do all their PDA stuff.

The On and Off again

This may be the couple you hear about most often, and trust me when I say (LITOTES) you won't be sorry when you hear the reasons why they suddenly “don’t work out” and then are all over each other again. The list can go on and on but the on and off again couple are almost always certain to get back together after a week. They have this big fight of why they don’t think they can be together anymore, how it would be best for them to take a break for who knows how long. The thing is at first you won’t hear anything about them anymore and that’s when people start speculating about what happened. It’s always the same questions, (ANAPHORA) “did you hear what they said to each other ”, “did you know about this?”,“did you see what happened?” Of course none of these questions are ever actually answered because, well no one actually knows what happens because as soon as the questions become more frequent, they get back together. Though their routine often gets boring we always often root for them to end up back together in the end.

The High School Sweethearts 

Now this is the couple that (HYPERBOLE)takes centuries to get together, but then stay together for the rest of time. They take time with each other and some can say that they are a little bit of each stereotypical high school relationship. They may always be touching (not in the way that makes you wanna throw up) and they may have those arguments that to others seem like the end of the world, but to them it’s just something that helps their relationship become even stronger. These couples just seem to be unstoppable and no matter what will just keep trying to have their relationship going no matter how impossible it may seem to everyone else. You can always figure out which of the couples will last forever because whenever you see them around school they are always paying attention to each other, like the world around them doesn’t exist. Getting into a relationship like this is the luckiest thing that could ever happen, not only because you found someone that truly loves you but you also found someone that cares deeply about you.

In the end, everyone has grown up with a set image of how a relationship should be. But unfortunately getting into a relationship will never be like the movies and it certainly will never look the same as anyone else’s. Being in a relationship is a beautiful thing. It doesn’t matter if it does fall into a certain stereotype, because people will always express emotions differently and being able to find someone that shares the same type of love as you is so incredible. High school is truly a place where you can witness or experience all types of love and even if it is being the too touchy couple or the on and off again couple or the high school sweethearts, well then let’s hope you have fun in that type of relationship.

It’s just a little run down on the types of relationships that you might see in high school