Acceptance | Teen Ink

Acceptance

Acceptance: The act of accepting something or someone: the fact of being accepted: approval. We live in a divided world. Our differences seem to divide us, our cultures divide us. We can never seem to find a reason to be a whole. We are always struggling to become a country or a world, we always have something to fight about, we have never learned to just accept each others differences and move on.

Every day someone struggles to get out of bed, because they are scared to face what the world may throw at them. Someone takes hours picking out an outfit just so they don’t feel uncomfortable in their own skin going to school. Everyday someone puts pounds of makeup on their face to hide what is under it. Everyday someone experience hurt because of being made fun of for their race, sex, religion, views, and opinions. This is all because they don’t feel accepted.

Imagine a world, where we could have our opinions and be understood for it. Imagine a world where someone can wake up knowing that we don’t have to hide who we are. Imagine a world we can just be us and not be shamed for it.  We wouldn’t have to worry about what to say and what not to say. We wouldn’t have to change how we look, to feel okay. Acceptance is one thing that will make the world a better place. Who knows if it will happen, or if it even works. If we can all work together maybe we can all just learn to accept one another. Maybe then we will know the true meaning of acceptance: the act of accepting something or someone: the fact of being accepted: approval.

In my 12th grade Dual Enrollment English Class we had to write about a change in the world we would like to see, that would change the world for the better. I decided to write about acceptance.