Relationships | Teen Ink

Relationships

Dear Readers:

Imagine you are in a relationship, everything is going well then all of the sudden you don’t hear from one another then the arguing starts and now you're wondering if you can fix the relationship. Middle and high schoolers are starting relationships and becoming each other's first loves. A good relationship is built with communication and respect.  

A good relationship is based off of communication. Communication in relationships builds trust. Communicating with one another help trust each other to know that there is no doubt in the relationship. Also, communicating helps to not worry about the other person all the time. Just to know that each other is okay, how their feeling or to know their not in trouble helps a relationship stay strong. According to Dr. Susan Heitler, “A good relationship also means good communication in the sense that when differences arise, the partners can talk through their dilemma cooperatively.” (Good Therapy). Talking about things or making decisions together helps each other with different issues that are happening.

A good relationship is also based off of respect. Having respect in a relationship helps avoid fights or arguments and lead to trouble. Talking about things and respecting what the other says helps work things out instead of fighting. Also, in a relationship respect helps each others wants and needs. For one, it helps to not pressure one another to do things they don’t want to or don’t feel comfortable doing. According to Dr. Nancy Brown, “People who respect each other trust and support each other and value each other's independence.” (“Respect”). Being there and supporting each other, but also when needed, giving each other space and letting them be independent helps respect one another in a relationship. Some may argue that even with communication and respect not all relationships will work out, and that is true, but they do help in many different ways to ensure both sides are doing the best they can.

Communication and respect are the main points to having a good relationship. With communication and respect, relationships will be strong and last longer. There will be fights and disagreement, but they can be worked out and the relationship becomes stronger than before. If not, they can come to an understanding of what problem was. All relationships are different; none are never the same, but with respect and communication they are strong and healthy.

Sincerely,

CK