Teenage Depression | Teen Ink

Teenage Depression

October 30, 2018
By Anonymous

Dear Readers:

 

Wouldn’t you be depressed if the love of your life left you or if you were bullied because you aren’t cool enough? When you’re young you don’t have much experience to cope with hardship. Some people don’t believe in teenage depression because “kids don’t have anything to be upset about.”

     

One reason all teens go through depression is because love is a very poisonous thing. Every kid wants love and even adults search and drive themselves crazy to feel happy or wanted. It’s human nature to strive for love, and if you don’t have it, you won’t feel complete. Also during your teenage years hormones make you dramatic and love is still a very new concept. Additionally, YourTengo says that, “Broken heart syndrome can actually kill you after break ups or death involved with loved ones.” (Smith). This information is important because it proves that love is so severe that depression and then death could occur.

   

Another reason all teenagers will go through depression is because of bullying due to not following or meeting societal standards. Kids get bullied everyday for expressing who they are and are considered “weird”. Most people  want to be cool and fit in and be “normal” and if they aren’t meeting it, they are often unhappy with themselves. According to the website Bully Statistics, “Studies have shown that at least half of suicides among young teens are related to bullying” (“Bullying and Suicide”).  Bullying is clearly a huge factor of depression which leads to suicide. If people were happy or not going through stuff, you wouldn’t commit suicide.

      

Teenage depression is on the rise and will occur in all teenagers at one point in their life. Love is a toxic thing and societal standards are more and more strict; the rate of depression will never be decreased until there is change.

 

Sincerely,

 


Gabriel G.