Top Voted Environment Articles

Here are the top voted environment articles:

voted
#1
The Modern Zoo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I would like to begin by defining “zoo.” It is a park-like area in which live animals are kept in cages or large enclosures for public exhibit. Hold on, large enclosures? More like tiny cages. As zoo funds are cut, cages become smaller... (more »)
89 comments
voted
#2
A Cruel Place This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      Most people wouldn’t enjoy having their livers swollen, shampoo dropped into their eyes, or being in a cage so small they can’t stand up. So what makes people think that animals feel any less pain?... (more »)
19 comments
voted
#3
The Beauty of Science This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     The Union Army will be remembered as winning the Civil War. Genghis Khan will be remembered for invading China. Yet Darwin’s Theory of Evolution may change as may Newton’s Three Laws of Motion. Unlike... (more »)
8 comments
voted
#4
Here’s the Beef This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Advertisers are, of necessity, a craftybunch. They know that almost everything we want in life is owned,controlled, or influenced by someone else. They determine which group totarget, what that group needs or thinks... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#5
Not All Zoos Are Inhumane This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
This piece is a response to “The Modern Zoo” from the May 2008 issue of Teen Ink. I volunteer at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo and have gotten to know its keepers, veterinary staff, and other workers. According to the writer of “The Modern... (more »)
67 comments
voted
#6
A Caring Rebellion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Vegans can be defined as strict vegetarians who do not eat meat, dairy products, and eggs. This definition, though, only touches the surface of what a vegan lifestyle entails. Vegans not only abstain from consuming meat or animal byproducts,... (more »)
13 comments
voted
#7
Go Veggie With Style This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I am a vegetarian. Many people are quick to stereotype vegetarianism as bizarre behavior, appropriate for those on another planet. I treasure our Earth, and since we only have one, we should protect it and the wildlife that populates it. But... (more »)
147 comments
voted
#8
Cetaphobia: The Fear of Whales This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Everyone has an irrational fear. For some it is the color green; for others it could be the dark. In my case, it's whales. I don't know why everyone finds this so amusing and surprising, considering there are people out there scared of much... (more »)
41 comments