Plastic Oceans | Teen Ink

Plastic Oceans

Circulating around the middle of the pacific ocean, killing thousands of animals and marine life, is a giant barge of plastic. Anything from plastic bags to giant plastic bottles. The 'great pacific garbage patch' as it is known as is  7 million tons that's twice as big as texas and it is over 9 feet deep. This garbage patch is supposed to double in size over the next 10 years. It harms animals, causes transportation issues, and the problem is it is not the only one. There are 4 other major 'garbage islands' around the world. These garbage piles are a real problem that just keeps growing. Though some people are helping it is not enough to stop this worldwide problem. When you through a bottle into a river think of where it will float along to and how it will affect the earth. If you recycle your things, even reuse a bag, you could help shrink the garbage floating into the middle of our oceans.

I wrote this for my LA class, thinking that I wouldn't get anything out of it. But after researching this topic I now know how big of an issue it really is.