Save the Bees | Teen Ink

Save the Bees

By maggieheckler BRONZE, Pensacola, Florida
maggieheckler BRONZE, Pensacola, Florida

Pollination, the process by which pollen is transferred to the female reproductive organs of a plant, thereby enabling fertilization to take place. With bees help, pollination is quite simple. A third of all our food depends on their pollination. A world without pollinators would be devastating for food production. The main reasons for global bee-decline are linked to industrial agriculture, parasites/pathogens and climate change. Also because humans are frightened by the bee family, when they see a bee they kill it. Toady, bees are endangered which means our ecosystem will soon die out leading the human race to eventually become extinct.

There are multiple causes on why bees are becoming endangered. For example, Colony Collapse Disorder can be identified easily in hives because of its unique symptoms. According to the Local Pest Control, in the mid-1990s, parasites posed a threat to the domestic North American bee population with tracheal mite infestations causing some beekeepers to lose up to 85 percent of their colonies, according to PBS’s Wild TV. There is also an abundance of diseases that kill bees, but one of the main causes is stress. For instance, when the queen bee is stressed out, the other bees will die out. Stress can be a major cause of bees becoming endangered.

Without bees, we may lose all the plants that bees pollinate making it a struggle to sustain the global human population of 7 billion. Pollination is essentially plant reproduction. Without help from bees, our everyday food supply would look exceedingly different– at least one third of our staples we’ve come to rely on would no longer be available. A majority of the human population take bees for granite disregarding all the amazing things bees do for our ecosystem. A few examples  that would no longer be available to us if bees ceased pollinating our agricultural goods are: broccoli, asparagus, cantaloupes, cucumbers, pumpkins, blueberries, watermelons, almonds, apples, cranberries, cherries, honey, and coffee. People think bees are only good for buzzing and pollinating plants, but what they don’t know is that with plants being pollinated a variety of our food sources would eventually come to an end.

In conclusion, the bee family is becoming endangered because humans kill them, a variety of diseases, and stress. If all the bees die out, our ecosystem will eventually collapse, causing a variety of our food to disappear  leaving the human race to eventually become extinct. Bees are a huge aspect in our ecosystem, do not take them for granite. Save a bee.