Climate Change | Teen Ink

Climate Change

January 27, 2017
By H.D.Kalabanka BRONZE, Auburn, New York
H.D.Kalabanka BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“We really need to kick the carbon habit and stop making our energy from burning things. Climate change is also really important. You can wreck one rainforest then move, drain one area of resources and move onto another, but climate change is global.” This was said by David Attenborough a British journalist and environmentalist on his concerns about global climate change and the damage we are doing on our planet. This relates to my topic, human are the primary cause of climate change,  in the way that he believes humans are causing climate change He is stating how you cannot just move on from place to place because eventually all of earth will be consumed if humans don't stop our wasteful using of the planet's resources. Therefore, Climate change is caused mainly by human activity because a majority scientific sources agree with it, the overall temperature of the earth has increased at a rate faster than explained by nature, and the polar ice caps have shown significant decline in size causing sea levels to rise.


According to an overwhelming amount research done within the scientific community, climate change is primarily caused by human activity. According to the  2010 Anderegg study found that an overwhelming majority up to ninety seven to ninety eight percent of the climate researchers believe that human activity is the reason behind climate change. In addition to this, the researchers who do not believe in climate change cause by human are far below the research who believe in human caused climate change as far as their expertise level goes (Procon 1). In addition to this, a separate study that took place in 2011 concluded that over eighty four percent of scientist within the climate field believe that human are a huge factor in climate change (Tundra 1). Also in 2011, a research project done on rising temperature concluded that many climatologists believe that the cause of this significant rising in temperature and change in climate is due to human activities and the due on greenhouse gases and other damaging things to the earth. Even into recent years the effect of human activity on climate change has been a very popular topic due to the fear that if something isn't done soon the planet could be potentially damaged forever (“Climate change” 1). Lastly in 2013 a cook review study found that only 24 scientist rejected the idea that climate change was primarily caused by human activates out of over 14,000 people and in a separate study, .07 percent of the 12,000 people interviewed believe that humans didn't have anything to do with global climate change (Procon 1).


Another big factor in concluding that human activity is caused by climate change is the increase in temperature that is far faster than can be explained by natural causes. In 2013, a research report founded that in the past 100 years there has been an increase in temperature faster than the preceding 11,000 years. Also the IPCC’s synthesis report found that over ninety five to one hundred percent of scientist agree  that the main cause of global warming in this century has been due to human actions. Some believe this temperature rie to be because of the change in the sun  activity. This However is untrue because scientist have been unable to detect any set pattern in the sun's changes lead them to believe a slim ten percent of the increasing temperature could be as a result of the sun meaning a staggering ninety percent is due to human activity on earth. (Procon 2).The paleoclimate records that have been found using tree rings, corals, and ice cores show a pattern of warming over the past 20th century and into the twenty first century. As a matter of fact, the 20th century was the warmest of the past 10 centuries, and from 2001 and on it was the hottest ever recorded in over 10 centuries. Many climatologists have concluded that the warm is most likely due to the action of humans in regard to greenhouse gases and their overall lack of care for the environment (“Climate Change” 1). But scientists generally agree that natural forces cannot account for the current warming trend. Our world has warmed by 5 to 9 Fahrenheit degrees (2.8 to 5 Celsius degrees) over the past 18,000 to 20,000 years. The world's temperature may rise by as much as 12 Fahrenheit degrees by 2100. Human actions will almost certainly be the cause, scientists say (The New Book of Knowledge 1).


Overall, this rising in temperature has had may consequence on the planet such as melting polar ice cap and rising ocean level which could potentially bring devastation to areas below sea level. “From 1953–2006, Arctic sea ice declined 7.8% per decade. Between 1979 and 2006, the decline was 9.1% each decade. As of 2014, Arctic sea ice was being lost at a rate of 13.3% per decade” (Procon 1). With the polar ice caps melting, it interferes with the polar ecosystem. The lost of the ice sheets could bring devastation to animals inside those ecosystems and their habits could be destroyed resulting in a loss of biodiversity. In addition, melting ice and other factors will cause sea levels to rise. This could cause places that are closer to sea level to flood cause homes to be destroyed. One estimate says that the sea level could rise more than 50 inches by the year 2100. Some even go as far as to say that the arctic ocean could be free of ice by 2100 (The New Book of Knowledge 1). In addition to the ice caps melting causing the increase in sea level, human activities also causing the acidity in the oceans to increase which eventually could lead to imbalance in the ecosystem which could result in a lack of biodiversity as previously stated. The acidity level in the ocean are over twenty five percent higher than previous to fossil fuel use. “According to a 2014 US Government Accountability Office (GAO) report, oceans have absorbed about 30% of the CO2 emitted by humans over the past 200 years, and ocean acidity could rise approximately 100-200 percent above pre industrial levels by 2100”. This further proves that humans are producing more CO2 than ever before and even if it is getting trapped inside the oceans, it is still having an affect the planet as a whole (Procon 1).


Greenhouse are also a huge part of the human activity which is causing the global climate change. The greenhouse gases are a huge problem, and are increasing each year. In 2012 there was over 6.5 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions from human activity which has an extremely negative effect on the planet as a whole. In addition, the greenhouse gases, have been getting trapped in the ozone layer especially the troposphere cause destruction the the layer which protect earth, and the amount of gases has nearly doubled since 1976. This cause ozone layer depletion which can cause harm to the the earth as well as us humans inhabiting the planet (“Human causes of climate change” 1). Co2 level is also on a rise, this is cause a rise in methane which is bad for the atmosphere and the planet in general. About sixty percent of the methane in the atmosphere is caused by human activity. The methane is also a result of car emissions as well as the cattle and dairy industry. Without it there would be significantly less pollution (“Climate Change”).


Even though it is fairly certain that humans are the main cause of climate change in the recent year, there is also another side to the story. Someone scientist although far less believer that the rising and lowing of the earth's temperature is due to earth's natural cycle and has nothing to do with greenhouse emissions. Some believe the earth goes through a natural cycle, and like how the ice age happened a similar thing is happening except hot. Other also believe that there is solar variability meaning, that the sun is increasing in luminosity over time which could explain the rise in temperature as well as the overall change in the climate. Other also believe that volcanic activity and tectonic activity are also likely culprits in the changing climate. They believe that large amount of sulfirde and other gases released into the air could cause the destruction in the ozone layer. The tectonic plate theory evolves from the thought that the tectonic plate control the carbon dioxide in the earth's crust and when they shift more is released pacing the blame on the earth itself instead of the humans inhabiting the earth. Finally the last theory is that earth is affected by other planets solar systems. It stated that the relationship between the rotation of earth around  the sun  and the axis affects the climate of earth causing the variations in typical climate pattern seem in the past. There are many theories as to why the climate on earth could be changing and although there are these many that are mentions above the most obvious and well accepted though is that humans are doing the destruction to the planet through green house gases and other harmful habits and in order to change this we need to take a step because are realized the hrm we really are doing. You can't just pretend like there isn’t a problem because there is no way it will be fixed if it isn't recognized (“Climate Change”1).
In conclusion, humans are the primary cause of global climate change because of the the amount of scientific evidence that backs it up, the the overall temperature of the earth has increased at a rate faster than explained by nature, and the polar ice caps have shown significant decline in size causing sea levels to rise. All of these things  combined show that that human are the cause of climate change due to our careless use of greenhouse gases and other things that are harmful to the planet. We all need to work together to help fix our planet before it's too late and like David Attenborough said we need to resolve the issue instead of just moving on to new pieces of land until it is eventually gone after all in the words of David Attenborough “We are a plague on this planet”.