Recycling: The Hidden Truth | Teen Ink

Recycling: The Hidden Truth

In our modern world we are having trouble conserving and preserving items.  So recycling is a big deal.  But right now recycling is a very split topic in the United States of America.  Some people say that recycling is “superb” for the environment and recycling is exceptional, and that the world will be altered by this.  But others say that recycling is a desolation of money, recycling is counterproductive and that people can do more by reusing and conserving.  Across the board, the facts clearly say that recycling is indubitably counterproductive and overall not worth the trouble.

Across the country people are losing money, for things people never expect.  Each time the do a “good” thing people can lose money.  This “good” thing is recycling.  Recycling is a waste of money, for example, each time we send recycling to the recycling center, people pay other people to sort and recycle.  People may say recycling creates jobs but in reality the jobs that are created are dangerous and get people sick.  In the article Is Recycling Worth the Cost or Trouble?  The article shows how much recycling really costs.  In highly populated areas like New York.  The articles facts say that recycling costs 240 dollars per ton of recycling and New York can recycle as much as 4,000 tons a year!  This totals up to about “960,000 dollars a year”.  This is the least of the problem.  This is in only one state! Not only this but when recycling computers places like the United States of America are sending the parts over to other places to be broken down for metal.  This costs oil, and the reason we recycle is to save things that are going to run out, like oil.  Now stop and think, boats cost money to run, and the United States uses boats to send computers over the seas to places that have furnaces, and the cost of buying things that run the boats costs money.  When it comes down to recycling one of the big problems is the research.  The research costs money to find and make things to take down trash.  From the article new plastic eating bacteria has potential to ease the trash gut.  One of the main talking points is about how there is a new bacteria that can eat plastic.  To develop this technology, research had to be done.  All this research is not economical or bio friendly. The worst part is the bacteria is still in the “testing phase” says the author of the article.  And the recycling  research will damage our economy, if things like this keep happening.  Some people disagree saying that recycling is not about keeping the economy afloat recycling is about helping the world.  And recycling is about keeping earth clean.  “We do not recycle to save money we recycle to save the planet.”  And that the more and more we work and spend on this the better and better we will get.  But in reality when people recycle, the system does not help as much as they think.  The more digging that is done the more the evidence will show that  countries are in debt due to recycling.  And they can not get out due to the amount of material that is recycled a day. 

Recycling is overall counterproductive, all that effort that is but in is not doing much and is not worth any of the things we have to do to recycle.  In the article recycling what a waste they say that recycling is too hard to get done efficiently.  When we recycle we think that it gets done right away, but people have to sort and most places like corporate buildings do not posses recycling bins.  Another example is that recycling from the bin does not always end up in our centers, recycled materials ends up in the dump.  The extra money people pay to have this system is not helping, recyclables are getting tossed.  And so recycling therefore is counterproductive in that manner.  Last of all the recycling is not saving what needs to be saved.  When humans recycled glass, recycled materials are cleaned and reused, but what powers those machines?  Fossil fuel, or oil/coal.  These materials are what we are trying to save and when people recycle all the machines that process and remake and using this fuel.  Each time people recycle, it does not make a difference and recycling is overall counterproductive.  People may say that recycling is not counter productive, recycling is working and that we save materials every day due to recycling.  But what is actually happening is recycled materials are not recycled and that we waste more materials than save with recycling each day.  Another reason is that most of the materials that we use to recycle we can not get back and because of that, the amount of recycling is doing more damage to the earth  and recycling is counterproductive.

Recycling is really not needed but there is another way to help save the planet without recycling.  Our carbon footprint is very big and people think recycling helps.  But doing things like reusing and conserving is better or the environment.  Think about Tesla the new electric car.  When people get rid of their old car and buy this new car they do not realize what a waste it is and buying a new car does or anything like that does not help.  Doing things like carpooling and driving an old car does help.  When people buy a new car, the new car costs metal and that’s not acceptable.  People try to recycle that amount of metal with things like metal cans.  But just “driving your old car can save about some 3,000 pounds of metal” Says Adam who works with experts on this topic.  “You can do more by doing less”.  This is not all, things like using metal water bottles and not buying plastic ones every day, can help keep plastic down.  Think about this, when people recycle a plastic bottle, companies have the bottle remade and then the bottle is used again.  But this person might not toss the bottle away and instead drop the bottle on the ground and blame the dropped bottle on someone else.  Instead of the plastic getting broken down and destroyed the plastic gets littered and ends up in the swirling garbage cycle in the ocean.  (That is a heap of plastic floating around an island and the cycle does not stop.)  The facts state that just reusing and conserving is better than recycling and that people do not have to recycle to help the earth.  Some people say that conserving is not as effective as recycling, they say that people cannot make something new again out of something that is conserved.  And that recycling is the best way to save materials.  But in reality the recycling process costs materials that the process is trying to save.

Recycling is a very controversial topic.  There is no doubt that recycling is ok, and people live by recycling, driving better cars and drinking out of water bottles.  They do this to help the earth: just because recycling does good things, does not mean recycling should be done.  The definition of recycling is to convert waste into useable material.  But this process is cost worthy, is overall counterproductive and not worth the trouble.  When you recycle, recycling does the opposite, recycling damages.  The more and more people try to good with recycling the more the earth will be damaged.  Soon the earth will be two degrees hotter and that is the end of the line.  The question is do you want to do what is good?