The Problem with Pesticides | Teen Ink

The Problem with Pesticides

By Ro222 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Ro222 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Pesticides have been a debate for a long time now.  People get affected by pesticides in various ways, good and bad.  Some people argue that it is the main reason of cancer and it is killing bugs and insects. Others will argue that pesticides help with human health and it helps the crops grow, also when people do use pesticides on their crops it is protecting the crops and ensuring safety to the crops. But do people understand that pesticides are putting people in health danger and risking their lives. Pesticides are dangerous and harmful to our environment and to us.  Why risk getting sick or ending up in the hospital.

Pesticides are dangerous and harmful to our environment and to us.  Pesticides are shortening our lives.  Studies show pesticides is the leading cause of cancer.  “There are many ways to clean up pesticides, but not cancer” This was quoted by the article “Cancer funds are Chasing the Red Herring of Pesticides”  By targeting the pesticides we risk our fruits and veggies- which also is leading to a high risk of cancer.  Pesticides are the leading cause of cancer.  The Government has spent billions of dollars trying to clean up the Pesticides.

Pesticides is a chemical.  Pesticides has caused a big risk to the farmers crops , and to people.  Farmers and people really dislike the fact that pesticides is hurting and killing their crops.  Also farmers dislike the idea of pesticides killing bug and insects. Bee’s are really decreasing 2.4 million bees have decreased ever since pesticides. Farmer have been saying “It is such a shock, I have seen nothing like this before!”   This was quoted by the article “Effect of Pesticides” By pesticides killing bugs and insects and their crops, farmers do not like the idea because the money has been decreasing. Farmers have been losing billions of dollars. That is not good for farmers.

With the chemical pesticides, it has caused many emergency’s.  Such as one in Oregon.  “Oregon claimed that they faced an emergency… Vinclozolin, and it was harmful to our bodies and our food”  This was quoted by the article “Better living through chemistry… or not”  This shows that there have been dangerous emergencies in the past,such as to our body and to our food.  We just have to be careful about our future and what we choose.  Do you want that to be your future?  Living through a world of harmful chemicals that are endangering our environment and us.  Vinclozolin is a type of chemical.  “Exposure to a harmful chemical can alter behavior and health of subsequent generation.”  This was also quoted by “Better living through chemistry… or not”  This shows it is  harmful to our bodies, and to other thing, for example, crops, bodies, animals and insects/bugs.

Some people argue that pesticides are all bad, but they may have some benefits. Such as it may be able to help crops grow, and pesticides may ensure people safety.  To make sure farmers get their money, they use pesticides to ensure safety to the crops.  Pesticides is there way of protecting their crops. “Lot’s of time they protect the crops, they help” This was quoted by the article “Why do Farmers use Pesticides” Farmers also use pesticides because it is fast and effective.  The goal of using pesticides is to help the crops, and kill the insects and animals, so the crops won’t die or get affected by the animal, also when they sell the crops they can get their money's worth of it.  But over all pesticides can help crops grow.

Pesticides have been a debate for a long time now.  There is no doubt that  pesticides have had some good effect on our environment.  But just because we have heard of pesticides one way, does not always mean it is the right way.  Pesticides are dangerous and harmful to our environment and to us.  This is important because, pesticides can hurt you, and can put you endangered.  Pesticides also puts your crops  endangered as well, if you are a farmer.  There has been a lot of emergencies involving pesticide. Would you risk having pesticides in your life?