Pesticides | Teen Ink

Pesticides

January 16, 2017
By amo22 BRONZE, Hartland WI, Wisconsin
amo22 BRONZE, Hartland WI, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Pesticides can be good and bad. Some people might say that it can help kill pests and protect crops from pests eating them. Others might say that it can hurt you in many ways, it doesn’t protect the crops while using it and they are the number one cause of bee population going down hill. Pesticides are good for the world as some might say, but they are actually not.

One reason that pesticides are bad is that they are dangerous to human health. They can cause many illnesses and diseases to people and plants. Some of the illnesses are Fatigue, skin irritations, nausea, vomiting, breathing problems, brain disorders, kidney liver and reproductive damage, cancer, and even death. All of these can be caused by inhaling and getting pesticides on your skin and clothes.


Another reason that pesticides are bad is that pesticides aren’t good for the crops Some people say that they kill pests without killing their crops. In some cases that is true, but not always. There has been reports of people using pesticides on their crops, and all their crops died. In the article “why do farmers use pesticides on their crops”,it states that pesticides are dangerous for our crops. Even though they are dangerous, farmers still use them. “Farmers lose food because of using pesticides every year.”Try organic pesticides instead of regular pesticides.


Furthermore, the last reason that pesticides are bad it that bee populations are going downhill rapidly. According to David Bradshaw, more than 100 million bees from his hive has gone “missing” due to pesticides in the air. Bees help make our food healthy and safe. If we didn’t have bees, then we wouldn’t have food. “Every third bite we consume in our diet is dependent on a honeybee to pollinate that food,” said Zac Browning. “We are dependant on honey bees to make our food safe.”


Some people might say that pesticides can be good. They can can extend the shelf life of the food. Also pesticides can be safe on some crops. In some cases pesticides can be used to protect human health. They are also do kill the unwanted pests in your home. Even though there are a lot of bad thing there are some good thing about using pesticides.


The topic of pesticides is a complex topic. This topic is one that needs to be taken seriously. Some still might say that pesticides are a good thing. The bee colony has been going down while pesticide usage is going up. It is time for a change. Maybe try using some organic pesticides on the crops or maybe put a small fence around the garden if it is possible. There have been more than 200,000 deaths per year from pesticide poisoning. The community needs to stop the use of pesticides.