Humans Before Animals | Teen Ink

Humans Before Animals

Scattered with flowing rivers, lush forests, and everlasting plains, the environment is extraordinary, but is it a place for the government? Since December 2, 1970, the EPA has been restricting the use of our planet and taking our rights away.

Written in the most important part of the Constitution is the Tenth Amendment which states “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.” This is one small piece of the large document, however, once it is broken, the entire document becomes vulnerable to the bureaucrats taking your freedom from afar. This is an important turning place for America, we can either give in to the tyrannical forces or stand up for our rights that have been long preserved until now. Just to save a fish, the government sacrificed tens of thousands of jobs.

California is now suffering a major drought, the unemployment rate has hit 14% statewide with some towns up to 40% just because of the lack of water. All of this human suffering is made by one group, guess what, it’s the EPA. Because of a small fish, the EPA flushes 71 billion gallons of water into the ocean. This is water that the people in California need desperately, but a small fish to some people is more important than the well-being of California, home to nearly 40 million Americans. Our government would rather save a fish’s life than an American’s. What if you lost your job, stranded on the street, the only one to blame for this is the EPA, they hurt America with their “small and sensible” regulations that turn into a disaster.

The Animas was once a beautiful river full of fish and wildlife that supported many towns. People would spend days play or fishing in the clear waters. The EPA was cleaning out a mine, consequently, they spill millions of gallons of mine water into the once beautiful river, making it toxic. It started up in Colorado, but the 100 million gallons of it has made it down to New Mexico, now it is just time to wait until the EPA’s mistakes are cleaned up by the water flowing into the ocean. Imagine you live along the Animas, your main source of life has been ruined by an unconstitutional organization. The people who inflicted the pain do not care for you, they don’t help, well they call it helping, but what they do is raise taxes and cut down on your freedoms. This is a time to stand up against the people trying to run our lives.

The regulations that the EPA has put on this country have done more harm than good and over the 46 years of existence, the EPA managed to suck up $3.772 trillion dollars. Their regulations have hurt the country, yet they are getting billions of dollars in funding. They start with their “small” regulations with turn into giant mistakes which can never be forgotten. One of the proposed laws is that you must get an annual car tune up. Little do they know, this will increase the price of each car $3,100 because the companies have to pay for the tune ups. These expensive regulations will only hurt the economy and make it harder for the less privileged to live.

Solution:
Shut down the EPA and split it among the states where they can figure out their budget and what needs to be done in their environment. They will be closer to the problems at hand and it will not be controlled by the federal government.

Bibliography
"Over-regulated America." The Economist. The Economist Newspaper, 18 Feb. 2012. Web. 17 May 2016.

"EPA's Budget and Spending." EPA. Environmental Protection Agency, 2015. Web. 17 May 2016.

"No Water No Work." - Rural California Report. California Institute For Rural Studies, 17 Mar. 2014. Web. 17 May 2016.

Stover, Dawn. "The Myth of Renewable Energy." Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. The Bulletin Of Atomic Scientists, 22 Nov. 2011. Web. 17 May 2016.

"Animas River Spill: The Massive Toll by the Numbers." CNN. Cable News Network, 13 Aug. 2015. Web. 17 May 2016.

Dokoupil, Tony. "EPA Back in the Crosshairs as Animas River Spill Comes under Scrutiny." Msnbc. NBC News Digital, 09 Sept. 2015. Web. 17 May 2016.

Staff, Grist. "A Look Back at Reagan’s Environmental Record." Grist. Grist, 10 June 2004. Web. 17 May 2016.

"Environmental Impacts of Wind Power." Union of Concerned Scientists. Union of Concerned Scientists, n.d. Web. 17 May 2016.

Eveleth, Rose. "How Many Birds Do Wind Turbines Really Kill?" Smithsonian. Smart News, 16 Dec. 2013. Web. 17 May 2016.

"US Wind Farms Kill 10-20 times More than Previously Thought." Save the Eagles International. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 May 2016.

US News. U.S.News & World Report, n.d. Web. 17 May 2016.