Air Pollution Needs to Be Reduced | Teen Ink

Air Pollution Needs to Be Reduced

By miatm BRONZE, Dutch Harbor, Alaska
miatm BRONZE, Dutch Harbor, Alaska

Air pollution is one of the biggest threats around the world today. We as humans are causing air pollution, which in turn is also causing global warming and health issues. Though we have been polluting the air for such a long period of time now, we need to make a change. Now is the moment to improve the atmosphere and change Earth for the better. If we don’t cut back on air pollutants, more animals will start to lose their habitats, even our human species. 

Air pollution is not only harming humans, it also causes excessive amounts of global warming, which can eventually cause many animals to go extinct. Over the last 150 years, greenhouses gases, such as car exhaust and factory pollutants, caused most of the global warming around the world. Studies show that CO2 emissions have increased due to human related emissions. Some may think that global warming is not a threat and is not an effect of air pollution. The opposing side says that carbon dioxide levels on Earth fluctuate, and that is true, but since 1950 levels have been at their highest point ever. Studies show that the temperature of Earth has risen between .4 to .8 degrees Celsius over the past 100 years.

Where are some of the places global warming is affecting the most? Over the past fifty years, Alaska has warmed faster than anywhere else in the United States. Living in Alaska, it is important to me that we realize the threats from air pollution and global warming. Like many other places, we should be lowering the amount of pollution that is present and going to be introduced into our atmosphere. Some argue that we as humans have not contributed to these air pollutants, since it cannot be proven. They also believe that reducing this air pollution is not the key to lessening global warming. Science does show that air pollutants have caused Earth to heat up, but there is no way to actually test this. Since so much global warming has occurred, polar bears are in danger of going extinct. Their habitats are melting due to the warmer temperatures, which in turn also provides them with less food. Coming up with ways to save the environment around us is one of the most important things in our lives right now.

Air pollution should be reduced, so humans and other animals are healthier. Pollution in the air can cause coughing, throat irritation, chest tightness, wheezing, and shortness of breath. Some think that air pollution does not pose a serious threat to our health and that we do not contribute to it. While it may be true that some cities have clean air, other cities clearly have air pollution that is harming people. Besides humans what else could be causing air pollution? In 2010, 233,000 deaths were caused from lung cancer, which is only a part of the 3.2 million deaths caused by air pollution. Air pollution is a serious threat worldwide, and we need a plan to decrease the amount that is being put into the atmosphere. Why is it that we are just now starting to make a plan?

Air pollution is a serious threat that needs to be decreased. Since we are humans are producing it, what is our plan for the future? How will we decrease the amount of air pollution that causing global warming? It is up to us to figure out some type of plan to make Earth healthier. In November, 2015, sixty ministers came together to discuss greenhouse gas cuts in Paris. This is just a start to fixing the pollution problem that is occurring today. Start making this world a better place by cleaning up the air that surrounds us. What will you do to stop this?