Stop Animal Poaching | Teen Ink

Stop Animal Poaching

By JuliaCommie BRONZE, Fenton, Missouri
JuliaCommie BRONZE, Fenton, Missouri

Although it's happening all over the world, poaching of animals  is horrible.

According to Onegreenplanet.org, in 2013 alone, 790 rhinos were poached in South Africa. Sadly today there are only three left in that area. They are still critically endangered and have to be guarded 24/7. We could have so many left, but apparently, their horn is highly valued for Chinese Medicine. Other animals are severely harmed to the same degree, such as: elephants for their ivory, gorillas for their hands and feet and even sharks for shark fin soup.

Why should we care? Because many of the people in Africa rely on ecotourism for their income. Without animals their economy suffers.

As a person who loves animals so deeply, I can’t bear but to want to help. We can’t necessarily stop this altogether, but we can certainly reduce the effects of poaching. One way is boycotting. By not buying these product, we aren’t providing the money to these companies that kill these animals and hopefully, eventually over time, they will slowly run out of business and reasons to kill.

As we know, there are not enough rangers in Africa to protect every single elephant, rhino or gorilla, but what if we used drones? By sending old or beat-up drones or even donating to a preserve, we could get this to become a reality and quickly.

I was very excited to have the oppurtunity to post my opinion on animal poaching for other people to see

on Nov. 3 2016 at 9:55 am
JuliaCommie BRONZE, Fenton, Missouri
Thanks I will

EllieTuik said...
This is an amazing artical. Please write more.:)