The Next Generation of Housing | Teen Ink

The Next Generation of Housing

December 20, 2015
By indygirl12 BRONZE, Laurel, Delaware
indygirl12 BRONZE, Laurel, Delaware
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

It may seem small, but bigger on the inside. This "house" is half the size, but double the fun. These houses became popular in the '80s and are called "tiny houses". The houses are known to be a social movement where people move from 2600 to 100-400 square foot houses. More people should buy tiny houses because they are a way to show creativity and they save the consumer money.

Tiny houses express a person's creativity. For example, to give more bedroom space, most homes have lofts or Murphy beds. In the living room, company can sit on couches with hidden storage. Speaking of storage, some houses have a shelf that has the special book that opens up to have that special room seen in James Bond. In the kitchen, imagine a small pull-down projector that covers the space where a bulky TV would go. The creativity on the outsides of these houses matches the creativity on the inside. One Gothic-like tiny house has teal shutters, hot pink gingerbread, and purple shingles, which are considered a trademark for the tiny house world. This tiny house does not fit the cookie cutter mold with boring beige shingles or olive green shutters. Every tiny house does not have a cookie cutter inside or out.

Another reason why more people should invest in tiny houses is because they save money. The average cost of building a tiny house is $23,000; the cost of a conventional house is $272,000. Solar panels can power these houses, which can save hundreds of dollars on an electric bill. Tiny house owners can save money on renting land by attaching a hitch to the tiny houses. Once the rent in one area gets too high, it is time to attach the house to the truck and take a road trip to a better place. Tiny houses save money that couls be needed in the future.

Tiny houses are money-saving-filled-shelters-truly double the fun. People are able to have fun with mysterious, storage full house, and also a reason why there could be trips with the money that is saved.