Orca Exhibition | Teen Ink

Orca Exhibition

November 19, 2015
By Rez30 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Rez30 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The domestication of wild animals have been around since the creation of modern civilization. We tamed wolves to dogs, then expanded on the breeding of dogs to vary the gene pool. Some dogs came out as beautiful show dogs, others serve a more physical purpose, such as police and other service dogs. All different types of animals have been domesticated throughout history, so when the thought of the domestication of a mammal such as an Orca, I wonder why it is even questionable. Most likely, in my opinion, the real controversy over domestication is the fact that we really have very little control over Orcas. Their massive size and thought patterns are so similar to ours and if man happens to end up in the realm of the whales, the whales have the advantage. Orcas have demonstrated their ability to kill both in the wild and in confinement. The cases of those such as Dawn Brancheau, who died to an Orca at SeaWorld Florida, and Alexis Martinez, who also died to an Orca at Loro Parque, and others who have been seriously injured would probably strive for the release of Orcas, having a first hand experience with just how dangerous these animals really are. Orcas are dangerous and too large to be held in captivity successfully. Their intelligence is unparalleled beyond other mammals of the same class. If SeaWorld expanded the enclosure of whales, protestors might be more willing to allow Orcas to stay in captivity, but, even still, if there were any signs of psychological trouble, the release of Orcas are warranted and justified.


Along with most things, there are benefits and drawbacks to the confinement of Orcas. We apparently know very little about killer whales, and with many of them in captivity, it is very simple to just go to a park and study them. “The killer whale research we conduct has direct benefit for science. The animals in our care allow researchers, biologists and conservationists to better understand and conserve these remarkable animals in the wild (SeaWorld Cares 1).” Unfortunately this may prove not to help much. What researches will only be able to study is an Orca’s behavioral patterns in captivity, not in the wild. An Orca in captivity knows what it is taught only. It has some natural instincts, but if an Orca displays those, it is usually not rewarded or shot down. Another benefit to Orca’s in Captivity, is that it is entertainment. It is a show that most people have never seen. The ability to see an Orca do tricks as they have been doing for years is a great experience where in which I am saddened to say I enjoyed as a child. It made me see the world in a different light. That I could perhaps see the ocean as it was. Even though now I am doubting if it even is. Or if it’s just SeaWorld's vision of what the Ocean should be. Where in which humans control it.


SeaWorld attempted to deny most if not all allegations against it from the production of Blackfish. “The film depicts a killer whale collection in Washington State that occurred 40 years ago. It leaves viewers with three false impressions: (1) that SeaWorld continues to collect whales from the wild to this day; (2) that Tilikum himself was collected by SeaWorld; and (3) that the collections done four decades ago were illegal. None of this is true (SeaWorld Cares: Collection 1).” This is an obvious attempt by SeaWorld to persuade customers to come back. But this doesn’t change the fact of Orca captivity. The downsides of Orca containment highly outweighs the benefits. These Orca’s are going through a lot of psychological problems, a recurring theme among animals in captivity. Orca’s have been recorded to kill humans only in captivity, not in the wild. This is because the Orca’s go through constant stress. A collapsed dorsal fin, like the one found on Tilikum is a sign of stress on killer whales. There are many moral problems with containing Orcas as well. These whales are large, yet the budget for some pools may be small. With small enclosures, what can a whale really do? It cannot play, it cannot swim, like it does in the wild. It can’t do anything, it comes out to perform on occasion then just simply goes right back into it’s enclosure. Katie Arth, the national campaign manager for PETA, states, “Animals are not ours to use for entertainment (SeaWorld of Hurt).” I agree, in fact I honestly find it revolting. And if I knew as a child what I know now, I would have pressed for my mother not to take me in order to support the captivity behind whales. Overall, I find myself wanting to become a marine trainer just to simply be in contact with these animals to see if I can help them in any way shape or form.


Work Cited

"PETA vs. SeaWorld: The Creative Tactics and Tech That Drive PETA's SeaWorld Campaign." Nonprofit Quarterly. N.p., 03 June 2014. Web. 02 Nov. 2015.

"Research Helps Wild Whales." SeaWorld Cares. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2015.

"Truth About Blackfish." SeaWorld Cares. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2015.