Sea World - Enough is Enough | Teen Ink

Sea World - Enough is Enough

By jackiebonsignore BRONZE, Sacramento, California
jackiebonsignore BRONZE, Sacramento, California

It has been two whole years since the release of Blackfish sent a shockwave through the minds of Americans, causing them to readjust their thinking on establishments like Seaworld who exploit animals for profit. Yet, over 730 miserable days later, 12,000 lb Tilikum has still not been released from his confinement in a small, isolated tank in SeaWorld Orlando, where he supposedly spends his days bobbing lifelessly in the water for hours on end. This practice is not something that is in any way normal for his species, Orcas in the wild are very social, happy creatures. In fact, their development is much closer to human kind’s than we had originally thought: Orcas create lifelong bonds with family members, they mourn over the losses of loved ones, and they experience great amount of stress and anxiety when put in traumatic situations (For example, the stomach ulcers Tilikum developed while working 8 shows a day in Sealand).

Yet no one seems to be at all affected by the pure state of hopeless resignation this animal is experiencing. It seems people have stopped caring about the injustices and abuse these animals face in captivity, as well as the risks associated with the rage that the stress of being isolated spawns in these animals. Have we forgotten about the murder of Dawn Brancheau? Keltie Byrne? Alexis Martinez? These lives lost, as well as the many others who were killed or severely injured by Orcas in captivity, are proof that captivity can only create aggression and despondency in the animals. And the Orcas are not only injuring humans, no, since they have no way to communicate and form bonds with the other captive Orcas, they spend their free time using violence towards each other in a twisted “survival-of-the-fittest” game that the captive lifestyle forces them into playing.

America needs to get mad. We need to show Sea World that what they’re doing is unacceptable. Because until SeaWorld’s ticket sales suffer, the rich business owners aren’t going to do anything about the wellbeing and safety of the orcas. The only way to help these animals is to begin a boycott on all SeaWorld and Six Flags locations, demanding the release of these creatures. SeaWorld needs to release the orcas that are young enough back into the wild, and back into the specific regions they were originally captured from.

As for orcas like Tilikum who have been in captivity so long that it would now be hazardous to release them back into the wild, I propose a non-profit Orca Sanctuary be opened. These animals would finally be able to readjust to their natural way of life, only being held in by large nets that would surround the vast area of sea and coastline the sanctuary would be located in. People could be charged $10 dollars in admission, and a gift-shop full of educational books and toys could be opened up, all of the proceeds going towards advancements in marine biology or wildlife conservation. Scientists may even travel there to do studies on the Orcas, as long as they are not disruptive to the natural ecosystem.

We can make a change. The more people speak up, the harder it is for them to drown us out. Start today, tell your friends, family, coworkers to stop giving business to Seaworld. Expose what SeaWorld has done to animals like Tilikum, remind them of the tragedies like Dawn Branchaeu, and tell them that, finally, enough is enough.

A response to Blackfish, Manny O productions