PDA Writing Prompt | Teen Ink

PDA Writing Prompt

By Breana_Moffitt BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
Breana_Moffitt BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

In today's world people in public believe their relationship should be public. This is surprisingly not the case. If you asked 100 random people what they think when they see PDA, a majority of them will say they would rather go without having to see it. Yes we all get it, the two of you are together and supposedly in love with each other. But lets face it, there is no need to display your affection in a social environment. How would you feel if you saw someone with their boyfriend/girlfriend, and they were getting too affectionate for the environment they were in? As a by stander you would probably feel uncomfortable and out of place. I am not saying holding hands or maybe even a small kiss is completely wrong. People just need to think of how appropriate the action is, based on their surroundings.

The prevailing opinion over this sickening topic is that you should learn to ignore it or “Turn the other way” as the people would say. I’m talking about the people who don’t mind the inappropriate touching or the not so furtive kisses. These same people who believe an outward display to be cute and loving. These same people who have no problem with watching the vulgar act of public affection. These same people who smile at the innocent act so commonly seen. They all say to turn your head and mind your own business. My question is “Why would someone be marked as a creep or a judgmental person if they were watching a public display of affection?” I mean seriously. It has the word public in the name. If they do not want an audience, they should not do something that will grab the attention of many people, in public. An act like this is the equivalent of jumping onto a stage; I mean it is just asking to get all eyes on you.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines love as a strong passion towards someone, established with someone by his or her admirations and self interests. I grew up believing, that if you truly loved someone you didn’t need the physical attraction or connection to prove you are in love. The true love and connection was built and held together from the natural feelings and similar passions. A real couple wouldn’t need to demonstrate the so-called love they have, they would just keep that knowledge to themselves and cherish it. For some, an ardent relationship has never been experienced and they might feel the need to express their happiness and gratefulness. But this expression never needs to be put out in an apparent show for all to see.
A final point I would like to elaborate on is age. Age is an obvious controversial component to this topic. You will often hear the argument that a younger person is just acting like a young person should. Lately, when theses young adults get to the point where they are supposed to be grown adults, they seem to proceed with their previously learned actions. Public displays of affection have become an ongoing problem.

It is a problem that is being carried on from the teenage years. I find it sad that you can still see adults getting too “lovey-dovey” with their significant other. Adults are supposed to have self-control and be responsible. Apparently this is what we are starting to call responsible in today’s society.

I believe PDA is innapropriate, and the amount of affection should be based on the environment a couple is in.