Is Nuclear Energy the Way to Go? | Teen Ink

Is Nuclear Energy the Way to Go?

May 18, 2015
By Klitzke BRONZE, Welch, Minnesota
Klitzke BRONZE, Welch, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Has anyone ever looked up at the big bright sun and thought “Gosh, wouldn’t it be neat if that star could generate enough energy to power 288 trillion light bulbs?” If anyone has, they’d be right. The sun as everyone knows is the center of our galaxy. It heats the Earth, gives us vitamin D, powers solar panels, gives us a tan, and so much more. The sun is a very important factor in our daily lives, but not many people know how it works. Most people who haven’t been through a science class would think its just a big burning ball of gas. It basically is, but why is it burning? The answer is through nuclear fusion, the joining of hydrogen to make helium. Nuclear fusion may seem simple since it’s just combining the lightest element with itself, but its not. If done correctly however, it may be the biggest power source for future consumers.

Nuclear fusion is the joining of two hydrogen atoms to make helium, which causes a huge nuclear reaction. This reaction is what powers the sun, giving it a bright appearance and creating insane amounts of energy. Fusion, if not contained can be very dangerous, although can generate a lot of power if contained. The first time fusion was tested safely and successfully was in 1951, by American scientists, according to the atomic archive, and has been improved and changed since then. Fusion, unlike fission, is more difficult to produce and harness. Fission is the splitting of an atom to make energy, which is far easier the joining them. This method of creating energy has many benefits.

Nuclear fusion being the combination of hydrogen to make helium makes it virtually inexhaustible as long as there are still hydrogen atoms. An inexhaustible energy source is a vital part in economies all over the world. We see windmills and solar panels all over now because of their economic impact. Coal and fossil fuels are limited and pose threats for the economy, such as smog, pollution, disease, sickness, and more. Solar panels, wind mills, and dams all rely on resources given out my nature. If the sun is not out solar panels are useless. The wind dies down, production of energy from them dies down. Drouts or just a river drying out, result in a loss of power. Nuclear fusion is different, nuclear fusion never shuts down. nuclear fusion is endless power waiting to be made, but at what cost?

Although nuclear fusion shines in many ways, it has a list of faults. It is extremely hard to contain and is very dangerous to perform. Joining two positively charged atoms is like trying to push two highly powerful magnets together by yourself. To be able to join them extreme heat is required, making it difficult because not many man made materials can withstand the heat. Fusion production and sales won't kick off until around 2050 according to triplepundit, which is somewhat irrelevant to us at the moment. Building a Tokamak is estimated to take five to seven years, but doesn’t always happen that quickly.

Since the first test in 1951 until now, fusion energy has been growing slowly, but surely. Fusion is becoming more realavant to us now because have the technological ability to start testing it safley. Nuclear fusion has its benefits and doubts and proposes a lot of controversy whether or not fusion should be taken seriously. However, fusion if taken seriously could be an opening into a new world of creating energy.