Genetically Engineered Crops Helping Third World Countries | Teen Ink

Genetically Engineered Crops Helping Third World Countries

By acruel BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
acruel BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California

"You wage war against terrorists and violence, and try to wave your guns and fear us all into silence."

Try living a day without food, and hear your stomach growl.

Try living in a place where there’s constant climate change, and the food you try to plant can’t even grow.
  According to the United States Food and Agriculture Organization, there are roughly “805 million of 7.3 billion people, or one out of nine, were suffering of malnourishment in 2012.”  Sub-Saharan Africa is one out of the many places where a majority of their population is starving. Around “96 percent of Africa’s croplands are rain fed” , although crop yields are predicted to “decrease by 2 percent, while the demand for food is expected to increase by 14 percent” 

There’s a solution to all of this.

With the right technology, with the right funding, we might be able to fix this problem. There’s an opportunity to correct one of the greatest flaws on this planet.

Through genetically modifying crops these biological engineering companies can make plants that are drought resistant, produce a plant with a higher yield, or even create a plant that uses little to no pesticides. There’s such a large misconception about genetically engineered crops, it’s not just putting steroids into a plant there’s more to it. At the University of Gottingen they discovered “GM technology increased crop yields by 22 percent, reduced pesticide use by 37 percent.”   Other countries have proven this type of research is deemed effective, and there are many companies here in the United States that have conducted research of their own. One of the main reasons for holding us back is the lack of support from the general public.

Many believe GMO are harmful to both human health and the environment. Although in 2010 the National Research Council found that “GMOs actually have fewer adverse effects upon the environment than ordinary crops grown with pesticides.”  Recently, the F.D.A approved apples that do not oxidize and bruise resistant potatoes.  Imagine if these companies expanded this research, but not only that, brought it to developing nations. They wouldn’t have to worry about their fruits browning and becoming mushy, there could be a “cut in wastage of fruit.”  

Biotech foods are a growing business; it can help not only our country, but many of the other countries that are in need of food resources. President Obama has spoken out about this topic, saying, “Investment in enhanced biotechnology is an essential component of the solution to some of our planet’s most pressing agricultural problems.”  Although another reason why the U.S doesn’t push through is because a problem we face is funding.
For this type of research it varies in cost, it can range from several hundred thousand dollars to several million dollars per year depending on the project. Good thing that there are already organizations helping fund this research. The Bill Gates Foundation, The Rockefeller Foundation, Action Against Hunger, have already donated millions of dollars to help feed people with GE crops. Bringing this type of research is possible, these foundations need public backing and the government approval so they can expand and provide to those in need.
If we had a continuous flow of money there would be no limit on the types of crops that can help developing countries. Hopefully in the near future we would be able to feed those who are hungry.

In a perfect world, world hunger would not exist.

Although, if you had the chance to reduce the amount of people starving with genetically modified organisms, would you?

The misconception of GMOs have prevented people from seeing that this type of technology can really help those in developing nations.