Electric Cars Can Save Your Life | Teen Ink

Electric Cars Can Save Your Life

By jcmforthewin BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
jcmforthewin BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

An issue that’s being debated all over the world is whether or not we should use gas-powered cars. This dilemma has been going on for over 50 years all over the world as countries slowly but steadily are destroying the world as we know it. People say that electric cars are a waste of money or are too expensive, but I’m here to stop this abstract view of a simple topic. The fact of the matter is that people should buy all-electric vehicles such as a Tesla Model S. These kind of cars don’t put fumes into the air like gasoline cars. Even though fossil fuels have benefits, such as powering factories, the carbon monoxide that comes out of a car’s engine can be deadly. Electric cars can stop this.  Polar ice caps, the heat rising, and the ozone layer are problems that are caused by gas powered cars are all compelling reasons to why we should buy electric cars.

A problem that is caused by gas-powered cars is the polar ice caps melting.  This next information comes from http://climatechange.procon.org/, a website that is documenting information from certified technicians and doctors with PhDs.  “The burning of fossil fuels has some part in an 8 inch rise in the water level over the last 50+ years. The cause of this is the melting of the polar ice caps.” When this happens, the water rises and will flood the nearby land if the land level is below the sea level. The entire earth could be flooded sooner than we think. Also, think of the polar bears that have to swim days, weeks, or even months to find a food source because their home land has now been destroyed because of gas-powered cars putting fumes into the air.

Another potential deathly event is going on outside your house, and everywhere on earth, the temperature is rising. This information also came from procon.org, that, as I said earlier, has certified doctors and technicians that have verifiable PhD’s, and these people are giving out this information. “There has been a 1-1.5 degree incline in temperature over the last 100 years because of the burning of fossil fuels”, so that the ozone layer gets holes in the atmosphere, and the heat rises because of this. Eventually, the average temperature will rise above a possible temperature we could live at and we will have to seek other living environments in the universe.

The ozone layer is one of the main reasons for the catastrophic events that could happen if we don’t fix the dilemma of electric cars.  The information that I’m about to show you comes from http://www.ciesin.org/docs/011-466/011-466.html, a website that has doctors and physicians working to provide this information for us. “Ozone is destroyed naturally through a series of catalytic cycles involving oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen and to a lesser extent chlorine and bromine species. The abundance of stratospheric ozone is therefore chemically controlled by the stratospheric abundances of compounds containing hydrogen, nitrogen, chlorine and bromine. Increases in the abundances of methane and nitrous oxide (sources of hydrogen and nitrogen oxides respectively) thus affect the abundance and distribution of stratospheric ozone. Stratospheric ozone is also affected by the abundance of carbon dioxide (CO2), because the rates of the chemical reactions that control the abundance of ozone are temperature-dependent, and the abundance of CO2 plays a key role in determining the temperature structure of the stratosphere.” What this means is that the CO2 emissions and the petroleum from a car’s engine go up into the atmosphere and cause the ozone to malfunction and then this causes holes in the atmosphere, therefore, a part of global warming. If we don’t fix this problem of gas-powered cars quickly, the human race will die out.

When we think about this amount of evidence put forth before us, we have to realize that electric cars are the correct choice, because, do you really want to walk outside, in 50 or 60 years, and not be able to breath because you made the wrong decision 40-50 years ago? When we analyze the facts as shown above, we should consider that, even though the money may be greater than you had imagined for a perfect, non-pollutant, transportation device, it will be money well spent. So when you go home tonight, or anytime, tell your parents that they should buy an all-electric vehicle, and you will feel better about giving back to the earth.