Should We Continue Whaling? | Teen Ink

Should We Continue Whaling?

By klk20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
klk20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Whaling for commercial purposes should be internationally outlawed, and the outlaw should be subjugated by the countries of the world. It is cruel to whales, the meat is not needed, and it does not greatly influence the world economy.

We have had many years to study these beautiful creatures, and we have found lots of information, proving that the whales are very intelligent mammals, who have the capability to feel pain and suffering. So, it makes the harpooning process of the whales that much more cruel, because not only do they suffer while in the process of dying, but they normally die in 35 minutes prior to the attack. This makes whale hunting a horrible act, which is why it should be stopped.

We also normally don’t use the whales, for oils or food, as much as we should be, on account of all the killing of their species we do every year. Japan is the highest supporter of whale hunting. According to the website www.theguardian.com , they say that “ Japan normally kill up to 1,000 minke whales, and 100 endangered humpback and fin whales per year,” which is very reminiscent. But the interesting thing is, they normally don’t use all of the parts as they should. In 2006, 83% of the people in Japan (one of the last places that continues to over fish the whales), have NOT eaten whale meat in a while, or haven't eaten whale meat in their life. So why kill the whales?

Many countries in the world still support whaling, because it is a part of their culture. But as we know, over the years, many other traditions have been dropped, on account of the cruelty. Human sacrifice, for example, had been eliminated in most areas, although a very small population probably still practices it. But the thing is, is that humans are not endangered, at least not any time soon. Whales, however, have  great chance to become extinct in a matter of years, or hundreds of years. And when one thing in the food chain disappears, others start to go away too, or overpopulate. It is all part of  cycle, and we need to keep that intact, which means stopping the whale hunts.

These reasons prove exactly why whaling should be stopped. Whales are becoming extinct, which means that we need to protect the them, not harm them. And by eliminating commercial whale hunting, we can come a couple steps closer to keeping these beautiful creatures on the planet for centuries to come.