It's That Time of Year Again | Teen Ink

It's That Time of Year Again

December 2, 2014
By bethy84 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
bethy84 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Once every three months, one season ends, and another begins. It is pretty self-explanatory. From the time we were three, we knew this. When I was little, my favorite seasons were summer and winter. I liked summer because it was warm, and filled with icy cold popsicles, fresh produce from our garden, and refreshing sprints through the sprinkler. Winter was another favorite because of snow and my birthday! Now that I am older, however, I have come to appreciate each season for its own reasons.


Here in Wisconsin, spring is much welcomed due to the seemingly endless winter. In March, sometimes April, the bright, warm sun starts to peek its way out from behind the clouds. The humongous snow drifts slowly start to melt, a little bit more each day. Soon comes the time when you see bits of grass poke through the snow pile. The snow turns to slush. The driveways and roads are covered in mud. Now that there are only stubborn little piles of snow left, you see green shoots of crocuses and tulips breaking through the thawing ground. Birds are singing their sweet, joyful songs. Each day, the sun grows a little bit brighter and stronger. The nip in the air is not quite so strong.


After what seems like forever, it is warm enough to dig into the back of your closets and grab the short sleeve shirts, capris, and sandals.  When this happens, the temperature is usually about 55-60 degrees. It is chilly for the first couple of times of wearing these clothes, but we do it anyway, because by now, we are desperate to get rid of the parkas and snow boots we have been wearing for the past four months.


You really know it is spring after the first thunderstorm! The air has a certain earthy smell to it. The grass has turned green from the lightning, and the flowers are blossoming. Shouts of joy are heard from children splashing in puddles. Those days are also spent playing long games, like Monopoly® and The Game of Life®, and reading. The days continue to get longer and longer, until the next season has begun.


Summer is a wonderful time of year. The students and teachers rejoice; school is finally out! Many of the days are sunny and warm. The beaches are steadily occupied, as are the ice cream shops. Families take long weekends to go camping. They spend time under the starry night, roasting gooey marshmallows until they are a perfect golden brown. They sleep in tents at night, and hike through the woods during the day. Time is spent picnicking, lying in the sun, and watching the little ones play at the park. Friends spend time together going to movies, having sleepovers, and making memories. Parents and their kids spend time weeding their garden. Kids complain of the gritty feeling of dirt under their fingernails.  The parents reminding the kids that at the end of summer all of the hours of weeding under the hot sun will be paid off, because there will be fresh fruits and vegetables. Soon, it will be time to harvest them.


Fall begins for many people when school starts. The blissful days of doing virtually nothing are over. Now, there is no more sleeping in until nine, ten o’clock. On the bright side though, seeing friends every day is quite nice. The summer produce is ready to be picked, and packed away for the winter months.


The first frost arrives and the nip in the air is back, no more getting by without a coat. Fall sports start and the papers are packed with pictures of returning letter winners and score reports. The Community Ed fall edition is sent out. Included in it, are hunter safety classes, canning classes, and scrapbooking classes.


The leaves begin to change from brilliant green to vibrant yellows, pinks, and oranges. The grass turns brown, and it crinkles as you step on it. Many birds are flying south. Commercials on T.V. show ads for Halloween. Families with young children rush out to buy costumes. Others purchase candy. Many put carved jack o’lanterns on their porches, and make scarecrows. Then as soon as it all began, it is over, and Thanksgiving is upon us. The spicy scent of pumpkin pies wafts throughout the house. Feasts are prepared and partaken with family and friends. Deer hunting is all the rage. Hunters have a much easier time tracking down their kill when there is a fresh coating of snow on the ground.


Winter comes upon you in a rush. Days are short. The air is bitter cold. The ponds freeze over. The first snow fall arrives bringing big, white, fluffy snowflakes to the ground. Winter jackets, scarves, hats, and mittens are brought out once again. The lawn mower is put away and the snow blower is cleaned up, and prepared to remove the mountains of heavy snow from the driveways and sidewalks.


After the excitement of the first snowfall, comes the first snowstorm. School often gets canceled and children celebrate by sledding, making snowmen, and warming up their freezing fingers and toes by sitting by the fire, and drinking steaming cups of hot chocolate. Rosy cheeks and cracked, dried out hands are becoming the norm once again.


Christmas comes quickly, the first signs being Christmas music blasting out of speakers at stores. Christmas tree farms are open once again. Each tree anxiously awaits to be brought to a home and festively decorated, complete with an angel or star on top. Christmas lists are made, presents are wrapped. Grandparents attend their grandchildren’s Christmas concerts and plays at school and church. The story of Jesus is told, and the nativity scene is set up. The much awaited holiday comes and goes, then, January arrives.


January is not complete unless there are at least two snowstorms and multiple days of negative thirty degree wind chills. The students grumble when they learn they will be getting out of school late at the end of the year due to snowstorms. After what seems like forever, the snowstorms lessen up and the days start to get warmer.


The seasons go in a continuous cycle, always repeating again. When one season seems like it has been going on for quite some time, a new one replaces it. It is welcomed, refreshing and new. This quote by Yoko Ono perfectly sums up the seasons. “Spring passes and one remembers one’s innocence. Summer passes and one remembers one’s exuberance. Autumn passes and one remembers one’s reverence. Winter passes and one remembers one’s perseverance.” Seeing all the new signs of life makes you remember when you were like a baby robin; young, vulnerable and dependent. Summer is full of life and freedom. The beauty and diversity of the fall colors is appreciated. When you are a resident of Wisconsin, you learn to be very patient and perseverant during the long, bitter winter.


The author's comments:

I decided to write this piece because I truly love the seasons and the diversity of them all. I hope the readers will remember and experience the joys and difficulties of each season. I hope reading this is an enjoyable experience!