Gangs and Growth | Teen Ink

Gangs and Growth

By Tony12 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Tony12 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

“Even though violent crime has decreased in cities such as New York and Los Angeles, the murder rate soared here by 38 per cent in the first six months of the year. There were 259 murders in that period, with another 18 so far in July” (Gangs in America). These guys really don’t care who stands in their way whether it’s killing innocent people in the process, or shooting just to shoot, and abduction is a thing as well. All these things can happen if you let them. I just feel that people should something about this before it get out of hand.

Gangs have really become an issue. They are known for their gang wars, most of the time these events happen in neighborhoods or out in public. Other times it could be drive-bys around your local mall or it could be at a restaurant of some sort. Lastly there is initiation, for some groups they might jump the victim in order for him/her to get into the group or they might have to injury or rob a store to get the gangs respect. (National Gang Center)In 2007, there were about 785,000 active members in America. Kidnapping is a thing most crime lords do. They abduct kids, teenagers, and adults to. You could be walking down the street one day and someone pushes you in a van and they drive away.

Each Gang consists of 5 or more members each with a different aspect of things. (Statistic Brain) 41% of gangs consist of Hispanics, 31% - Black, 13% - White, 7% - Asian and only 2% are made up of female. Each group has a new way of doing something. Some of the stuff you see on television and movies, there are things you watch that are fake and others that are real. Holding people hostage sometimes: reality, guys with matching ski masks, and matching clothing are an example that shows it’s fake. Another problem is that they are rapidly growing in number which means more destruction. (GANGS OF L.A*)Back in 2006, 58 percent of violence in L.A was gang related. It doesn’t seem like a lot in percentage but think about all the places these guys could strike at.

Some People feel as if gangs are necessary and that it’s not always the criminals fault too. If the police aren’t around to help that person might decide to take matters into their own hands and sometimes that’s not always the best choice but it’s an option to others. Everybody has their reason or explanation’s why criminals do what they do. Hey if you ask me I feel that people do deserve a second chance.

Through the good and bad, Gangs have caused a lot of controversy over the time stream. From there outrageous public gang wars to their drive-bys

I felt as if gangs have destroyed most towns and cities and in a way its starting to effect a lot of people.