How Does Man Affect the Global Environment? | Teen Ink

How Does Man Affect the Global Environment?

November 7, 2013
By tgut15 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
tgut15 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How Does Man Affect the Global Environment?






Humans have a substantial impact on the global environment. Even the smallest human actions initiate environmental change. Simple things such as how we get around, to how we power our electronic devices, down to what we do with our garbage affects the global environment. Two major results of humans’ lack of taking care of the environment are Global Warming and Subsequent Climate Change. Human’s careless living habits have greatly contributed to the, what may be, irreversible damage to the environment. Many factors continually contribute to the growing problems that our environment faces.

Personally, I believe I am doing nothing but harming the environment around me. I am contributing greatly to both Global warming and Climate Change. Although I care about the earth, my actions reflect otherwise. I use too much water and drive when I can carpool with someone. I also waste energy by leaving lights on and keeping plugs in sockets. I do not recycle and do not reuse things like I could. This is allowing me to reevaluate and change in needed areas, which would most likely be all of them.

Small human activities have huge influences in both the local and global environment. The burning of fossil fuels directly affects both Global Warming and Climate Change. The burning releases extra carbon dioxide that has been stored underground for millions of years disrupting the natural carbon cycle that is already taking place. This carbon-dioxide, along with other “greenhouse gasses” causes the accelerated greenhouse effect which is warming the planet. Some humans burning extra fossil fuels in a certain city is a local problem, but this immediately becomes a global problem when some people in every city of the world burn extra fossil fuels. Climate change also is a direct result of burning of fossil fuels. Higher temperatures, rising sea levels, and increased ice melt are all evidence of Climate change. Deforestation and usage of chemical fertilizers on croplands are two other factors that result in Climate change; People performing these acts in certain areas of the world have small affects to the environment on a global scale; locally these factors are very hazardous. So when someone does something hazardous locally to his or her environment, it in turn affects the environment globally.

Humans consciously and sub-consciously affect the environment by their actions, whether they are positive or negative. Some actions that are taken that positively affect the environment include: recycling, annual emissions checks, carpooling, and energy conservation. All of these things help preserve the environment and help it from becoming worse. Even though humans are starting to become more environmentally conscious, there are still many steps that need to be taken to improve the environment. Some things that affect the environment negatively include: excessive construction, aggressive fishing and hunting, and littering. Even though some of these seem minuscule, it greatly affects the changing world around us.

Humans have a great affect on the global environment. Even the smallest of things that pollute your local environment, affect the world on a global scale. Climate Change and Global Warming are two results of humans negatively affecting the environment through the things they do! I personally need to make changes that positively affect the world around me. Everyone should strive to make the environment a safer place to live I by simply being more conscious of their day to day actions.