bullying | Teen Ink

bullying

October 11, 2013
By gabrielquam BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
gabrielquam BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Bullying:The Problem


Bullying is a very vast problem that unfortunately doesn't have many answers. It is not like a math problem where you just plug in solutions and it comes out right. You have to engrave discipline into these children that antagonize others that they think are less worthy to live. In a lot of bullying cases the children are beaten and/or neglected at home which causes them to take their anger out on people that are weaker than them.

Another branch of bullying is "cyber bullying" in which individuals will hurt each other not necessarily physically but mentally,which I think can be worse. Kids can be so oblivious to the fact that the things they say or do can very much damage the mind of someone and can cause people to live their life differently. One way that could help this problem to stop is teachers giving out more severe punishments other than telling the kid to say "sorry" ,in this world "sorry" means nothing if you don't change your actions. Kids being bullied need to stand up for themselves also. If you don't stand up for yourself it will cause the bully to think you are Weak and he won't be scared of what will happen to them. In some cases a kid feels he has to bring a gun or a weapon of some sort to scare the bully, and yes I know this isn't the best answer to the solution but put yourself in their shoes. Nobody is helping you, everyone laughs at you, you don't have a shoulder to cry on, what would you do? Would you just sit there and let the pain keep digging at your heart and mind, or would you take matters into your own hands and do something drastic that you think will stop the pain? Some people take certain things different ways. Especially in sports when a coach rips you on a stupid play you did or you were playing to soft and the insult you for it. People can take some things as motivation others do not.

“Knowing what's right doesn't mean much unless you do what's right.”
? Theodore Roosevelt
This quote epitomizes the mind of a bully. All people naturally know what is right and wrong, the majority just don't choose to do what is right. I have heard many stories about people that were so close to taking their own life but a simple acknowledgment of their existence or a smile can give them the strength to move on. Just think if you always had a smile on your face and you being in the room just added an air of joy you could save a life. Again I say, put yourself in their shoes, would a simple smile help you keep on going? I think you know the answer. Yes. Sometimes all you need is one person to hear you or someone to embrace. Many of us have been in a position where we think the world is just weighing down on us and we don't know what to do, but we had someone to comfort us and tell us everything was going to be okay. Would if you didn't have anyone to comfort you? How would that feel? If the only things you heard were tearing you down and ripping at your soul and all you had bouncing around in your mind was that you aren't worth it. It wouldn't be easy for you to keep moving on at all. Just think, if a persons life was in your hands, what would you do? Would you encourage them or drag them down?