Infinite | Teen Ink

Infinite

By KleoKleo GOLD, Knoxville, Tennessee
KleoKleo GOLD, Knoxville, Tennessee

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent Eleanor Roosevelt
Don't just read your story, WRITE it - Me

The mountains are tumbling open before the world, rolling and plunging, with brilliant colors of green, blue, and purple at a distance. With closer inspection, walking the less traveled path through the open meadows, the green grasses flow and bend to the mercy of the winds causing them to brush up against his ankles in pure glee. Secret pools and waterfalls entice the most troubled person to release the knot of tight tension in his shoulders and feel the years fall off and fade to nothing as he wishes to poke and prod beneath creek pebbles and rocks. Barefoot in the cold refreshing water, he runs and feels the joy of running water running between his toes. And while it goes swiftly past and roars over the cliff, diving into a beautiful glossy waterfall, he sits on the creek’s banks and ponders his childhood thoughts and simply laughs as he hasn’t in a long while. Peace is what the birds whistle through the sheltering canopy of rich, moss-covered trees that stretch towards the sky to soak and absorb the glorifying rays that touch all their leaves and revive them with newfound warmth. The comforting of the sun’s gentle caressing hands act as a mother’s embrace which immediately makes him melt and curl up upon the soft green grass in a self-satisfied ball like a newborn kitten in need of a mid-afternoon snooze. As the fireflies awaken and begin to dance in the darkness, he sees the magic of teamwork from the spark of life in their tails as they light a whole night’s sky in one instant. And slowly these fireflies meld and mesh into synchronization. He begins to realize that he as a single person serves to the whole. Once the fireflies have retired, a warm bright fire crackling orange and red flames seems to warm his heart. He enjoys his family and friends as they recount stories and tales full of intrigue and adventure and he is filled with rosy cheer and the thrill of fun. He sees the embers that smolder and spark and is speechless at the unmasked beauty before him. To feel the heat caress his face and he roasts a marshmallow for his long awaited s’more. And as he relaxes further, the winds swirl like turning wheels and encompass him with fresh clean air. He can take a deep, enriching breath that he will find nowhere else. A free breath unhampered with disgraceful things, things such as the hot, metallic tang of sweat from back-breaking work and the bleak, rotten stank of worry. No worries, nothing to stress upon, nothing hindering happiness and unrelenting love .Again, he breathes in and smells the musky and deep spice of the earth beneath him and is grounded. He doesn’t feel lost and dizzy anymore, he is at ease. And when it rains, he has nothing to fear for when he looks up at the clouds above him, he will recognize and witness that every docile raindrop that falls on his face and dribbles down the bridge of his nose is a blessing brought upon him and his character. The rain will wash away; wash away worry and regret, sadness and pity. Reborn, he will travel down the mountain to home and dwell on his blessings and not on his faults and problems. He will embrace life again in a new way, much the way a baby would, except with a purpose and remembrance of past mistakes so that he does not fall again. If ever he loses his way again, he can travel back up to the mountains where the wilderness reminds him to look for beauty in the most primitive and rough situations. The mountains are wild, and if studied properly with an open heart, he will find the best in the worst, the silver lining. His heart will swell in pride and sigh in anticipation of his return and he will feel infinite.

I love the mountains. Having heard the song Colors of the Wind from my favorite Disney movie Pochantas, I was inspired to write about my favorite setting in the whole world.