Go Veggie With Style | Teen Ink

Go Veggie With Style MAG

By MelodyBee BRONZE, Tarrytown, New York
MelodyBee BRONZE, Tarrytown, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney


I am a vegetarian. Many people are quick to stereotype vegetarianism as bizarre behavior, appropriate for those on another planet. I treasure our Earth, and since we only have one, we should protect it and the wildlife that populates it. But that’s only one reason to be a vegetarian.

Vegetarians may live longer, healthier lives. There is a ­correlation between red meat consumption and diseases ­including osteoporosis, kidney stones, gall stones, ­diabetes, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, gum disease, and even acne. From an economic standpoint, it requires less land, money, and energy to produce foods for a vegetarian diet. While there are many benefits to being a vegetarian, only a handful of those who attempt to adopt this lifestyle succeed.

The most important quality is dedication. We are surrounded by meat. It would be easy to forgo vegetarianism at any moment and devour a steak. This is why vegetarians must be staunch and zealous.

Creativity is almost as important as commitment. It’s easy to tire of eating nothing but ­salad. But with a little creativity and some soy products, almost any meal can become vege­tarian-friendly. Many ethnic cuisines also offer abundant flavorful options. Studying these cultures is an excellent way to generate new ideas. Another is to go to a restaurant that specializes in vegetarian food. This can spark a plethora of creative ideas.

Since creativity is a necessary attribute, it is no coincidence that many vegetarians work in creative fields. Many brilliant individuals were vegetarians, including Socrates, Leonardo da Vinci, and Albert Einstein. Some current famous vegetarians are Madonna, Paul McCartney, ­Natalie Portman, Pink, and Milo Ventimiglia.

Not everyone wants to be a vegetarian. Accepting this is part of being a vegetarian with style. Forcing your beliefs on others, by subjecting them to long lectures on the nutritional benefits of not eating meat or shoving PETA fliers in their faces, is disrespectful. Stylish vegetarians should also be able to gracefully decline a meaty dish without offending their hosts. Another differentiating quality between the stylish and the un-stylish vegetarian is the ability to stick with it. The latter group can typically be overheard saying things like “I’m a vegetarian – I just eat chicken,” or “I haven’t eaten meat in ten days. I’m a vegetarian.”

Being educated is also important. Do your ­research about different types of vegetarians, and learn as much nutritional information as possible. Your goal as a stylish vegetarian is to be healthy, not trendy. Don’t become a vegetarian solely ­because a celebrity says it’s cool. People who do rarely stick with it for long.

Being a successful vegetarian has been easy for me – I’ve been one since I was born. My family is vegetarian, so no meat is available in my house. However, constantly being surrounded by others who eat meat, and sometimes those who are not accepting of vegetarianism, can be a challenge. To be successful, I’ve relied on personal traits like flexibility, since I’m often in situations where the food choices aren’t ideal.

A common mistake is quitting before your body has adjusted to the transition. It can be difficult to stay committed in the beginning because of temptation. How­ever, this fades over time.

Another common mistake is quitting because you’ve been misinformed about the ­nutritional wisdom of being a vegetarian. That’s why it is vital to be educated. Countless people will tell you that it’s impossible to obtain the nutrients and protein your body requires without meat, but they are incorrect. People actually need only 44 to 55 grams of protein a day, and that is easily found in a vegetarian diet. Many meat eaters are consuming triple that amount, which is not beneficial; on the contrary, it has been linked with Alz­heimer’s disease. Vegetables can also supply all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients your body needs. However, if you’re still not convinced, you can take a multivitamin.

A society in which people have the constitutional right to live freely is well suited for vegetarians. If you need further convincing, read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. In a style comparable to Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle, Schlosser passionately exposes the dangers of eating meat. For great recipes, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman has got you covered.

Vegetarianism is an important cause that more people should support. PETA estimates that every vegetarian saves over a hundred animals a year. Not only is being a vegetarian healthy, but it also has a positive impact on the world.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 160 comments.


J. Rae said...
on Aug. 21 2010 at 12:08 pm
I was considering going vegetarian, I'm not a big fan of meat anyways, but I couldn't because I have five other people in my family and my parents wouldn't be able to cook just for me. I understand that is would be too hard to make food just for me when I have the rest of my family, so I am content to wait until I go to college to try being a vegetarian.

J. Rae said...
on Aug. 21 2010 at 12:02 pm
I was going to say exactly this! There are types of Vegetarians that only eat chicken, and some like my cousin who eat only fish. They are still Vegetarians, just a different type.

on Jul. 28 2010 at 10:56 am
Tintinnabulation BRONZE, Glen Arm, Maryland
4 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Long enough have you dreamed contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life."-Walt Whitman

@DayofRain50- it depends on what you believe in. I do believe that God gave us power over animals but that we should exercise as much humaneness as possible in killing them. Besides if we're not supposed to eat animals then what IS their purpose?

on Jul. 28 2010 at 10:43 am
Tintinnabulation BRONZE, Glen Arm, Maryland
4 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Long enough have you dreamed contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life."-Walt Whitman

I must say I agree with you. If we are indeed equal to animals, why should other animals be exempt from this rule of vegetarianism? Are you gonna say, "Hey Mr. Lion, stop eating that zebra! Bad kitty!" And what about flowers and fruits and bugs that you step on? The fact is, no matter how vegetarian you live, you're always killing something. Also I think you are right about the meat packing plants. They're probably not as healthy as they could be. But then again, some veggies are sprayed with pesticides...

on Jul. 16 2010 at 11:02 pm
peacemaker14 SILVER, Hubbard, Oregon
6 articles 2 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"in my life I've learned that growing up is hard and head banging is crucial"- hayley williams

this really made me think i haven't ever thought of vegitarianism the way you do and you have changed my opinion on veggitarians.

two thumbs up :D


grasslova GOLD said...
on Jul. 16 2010 at 8:03 pm
grasslova GOLD, Highland, Utah
19 articles 43 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you learn to die, you learn to live - Morrie

This is a highly intriguing article. You hit some soft spots that are prominent in our society... NICE. I too am an herbavore, and have been for about a full year. Meat has parasites, preservatives, chemicals, dyes etc in potentially every bite. Thought I am not religious about my diet, I do believe that people are better off not consuming meat of any form unless it is as a last resort or sparingly, in a spirit of thanksgiving. In a book entitled "The China Study" a study has been conducted that showed a direct relationship between eating animal byproducts and cancer. If a person's diet is more than 20% animal byproduct, they are in canceous conditions. This means anything coming from an animal: milk, yogurt, cheese (dairy), hot dogs, fish, crab, clams, poultry . . . . The truth is shocking. Research The China Study for more information.

on Jun. 27 2010 at 8:29 pm
NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland
13 articles 0 photos 531 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

"The latter group can typically be overheard saying things like “I’m a vegetarian – I just eat chicken,” or “I haven’t eaten meat in ten days. I’m a vegetarian.”

Being educated is also important. Do your ­research about different types of vegetarians, and learn as much nutritional information as possible."

Ok- those sentences totally clash.  Pollotarianism is a type of vegetarianiam that includes pultry in the diet, and pescetarianism does the same with fish.  I find it kind of offensive that you wouldn't considser those kinds of lifestyles vegetarian.  Not everyone has an entirely vegitarian family where meat alternitives are immediently available- which makes a sort of semi-vegetarianism the only practical meat-free route.  You're looking at a pescetarian, and she's not appreciating the condescending looks she getting.


on Jun. 25 2010 at 4:59 pm
TrulyRosa BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Play the wrong note and we'll all b[e] flat."

it's actually good some people are and aren't vegetarians, so that the animal populations won't over-populate. If they over-populate, the food for the animals will leave and they'd die either way.

on Jun. 25 2010 at 4:57 pm
TrulyRosa BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Play the wrong note and we'll all b[e] flat."

I loved your article -- but if everyone in this planet goes veggie, then the animal population will over-populate, and the animals need food. The food leaves, and pretty soon the animals will die either way. If this offends you, I'm sorry, but it's actually good some people are not vegetarians - like me, and that some are so that the animal populations will not over-populate. However, there are some species that are becoming extinct and I'm sorry about that. And also, I've tried to go veggie but it only worked for less than a day. Thanks for writing this article, and I might possibly try again.

on Jun. 22 2010 at 1:23 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

while I agree with your statement that you shouldn't be a vegetarian because you think it's cruel, I have to disagree with what you said about humans not being put on the planet as high beings.  I believe that God put us here and put animals here for us to nourish ourselves with.  It is obvious that nowadays we are top of the food chain.  We are not animals, we are humans, and while we have a responsibilty to protect our earth, we don't have a responsibilty to become vegetarians.

on Jun. 22 2010 at 1:19 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Animals eat other animals every day. Have you noticed that humans don't consume any meat eatin animals? We only consume herbivores such as pigs and cows. That only proves that we are follow a food chain.

I completely, completely agree. The conditions of animals should be better. Way better. But eating them is not a crime in itself. Wolves/bears/lions eat other animals. Are you going to judge them for following what they were born with? They surivive this way, it is needed to keep the earth in balance.

Being a vegetarian is perfectly fine, sometimes I completely skip meat for months because I love vegetables and I'm not in the mood for meat. But eventually i go back to it because i'm not a vegetarian, but an omnivore, as I was built, to follow the food chain.


on Jun. 22 2010 at 1:12 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

veggiepizza, I dont' see how eating meat is cruel. I won't say that I love eating meat, because truthfully I dont, as i believe eating is for survival and not because it "tastes good".

Animals were not put on Earth to be our food. Of course not. Nothing was made for us, we are not high beings. But humans themselves were put on this Earth to follow the food chain that every other animal on the planet lives by. For this world to stay in balance, animals must be eaten by other animals. Or otherwise the whole world would be in chaos with over population. Everything is connected and humans, just as any other animal, are meant to follow that.

i'm not saying don't be a vegetarian, because being a vegetarian is absolutely fine. other animals do it. But you shouldn't choose to be one because you are repulsed by a natural occurance.


on Jun. 22 2010 at 1:07 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Mr.Brightside, 

I do not see how it is cannibalism. Cannibalism is when you consume your own species.

I agree, God did not give us animals to eat. But He created nature in a way that animals must consume other animals to remain in the food chain, because everything is connected. We are part of the food chain. He didn't create animals for us, but He did create us to follow nature's course in the web of life.

Wolves/lions are examples are carnivores. They must eat animals to survive because that is who they are. Are you going to be against them because they are following the ways of their creation?


on Jun. 22 2010 at 1:01 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

The only probably that many meat consuming humans have today is where they get their meat. That is probably the only issue. They are unknowingly buying their pork/chicken/beef etc. from the wrong places, such as where the animals are abused and overbred. My family doesn't buy meat from the supermarkets; we know where it comes from. Any popular supermarket you go to has a very large potential to have meat products from these types of places.

We get our meat from a dairy farm nearby, which is well known for treating their animals fairly and having proper living conditions up until that point.


on Jun. 22 2010 at 12:51 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Whether you are vegetarian, meat-eater or "omnivore", all are fine lifestyles. They all occur in nature with every species, so I don't see why vegans/vegetarians are hounded so much. I respect all of them.

The only thing I don't understand is when some vegetarians I've met are so aggressive toward meat eaters. They are repulsed by the idea of eating animals because they love them and think it's wrong. But this mindset is a little confusing. If you respect animals, truly respect them, you wouldn't see that eating animals as a whole is bad. Wolves for example, are naturally carnivourous. Are you going to be against wolves because they eat other animals? or are you only dissing humans eating animals. This to me does not show respect to animals because it means you think of either humans or animals as higher beings, when neither one is above the other.

I've met vegetarians who simply chose those eating habits because they liked it. And that's a good reason to be a vegetarian, not because you are disgusted by a natuarl occurance in nature.

I am an extreme animal lover myself, but I do eat meat too. It's something many animals do, so I actually feel more connected to nature and the cycles of the planet on the carnivorous side.

To the Author: I'm not saying this is how I percieve you, I was just explaining my views on vegetarianism. 


on Jun. 16 2010 at 2:43 am
K9_Typical_Islander SILVER, Koror, Other
7 articles 0 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hours of boredom followed by moments of excitement (and adrenaline)- that's fishing

This is a huge eye-opener for me. I am not alien from the topic of vegetarianism but then again I have done no in-depth research like ones provided in this piece. I have never thought much about it, but you have done a great job in enlightening me on this topic.

on Jun. 12 2010 at 10:49 am

I agree that being a vegetarian is good for you. I think you did a really great job of writing this. But you left out how you should ease into it. It's not really safe for people who have spent all their life eating meat to just stop. I was born a vegetarian, but I know some friends who tried too fast and were pretty sick.

Overall, though, I'm glad you wrote this.


on Apr. 12 2010 at 4:20 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

animals have no rights. they are animals

on Apr. 12 2010 at 4:16 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

I think you are wrong to imply that being a vegan has anything to do with your brain.  If you think about it, some of the most clever, logical, stealthy, and all around intelligent animals in the world are the meat eating predators who have to hunt down and catch their dinner.  The vegan animals (grass eating cows, rabbits, deer) only know how to flee from danger.  Also, can you give me an example of how workers in the meat industry die because "the company doesn't really seem to care." And to finish it off, farmers raise animals to butcher or sell as well as crops, and the majority of the animal population is not raised by humans.

on Apr. 12 2010 at 4:10 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

I have nothing against vegetarians, but I would like to point out why choosing to eat meat is not a bad thing.  Humans are omnivores, which means we eat meat and veggies.  That makes sense when you think about survival.  Some vegetables, like avocados, have lots of calories to sustain us, but others not so much.  They are full of nutrients we need, but we were designed to need more than the mere 20 calories per head of lettuce.  Meat also gives us protein and some meats are good sources of iron.  Sure, eating a double bacon cheeseburger every day is a dangerous eating habit, but I don't know anyone who eats like that.  Humans need meat, just like we need vegetables, which is why we eat both. Being a vegetarian is fine, but if you don't want anyone to judge you for your choice not to eat meat, don't judge anyoone for their choice to eat meat.