Go Veggie With Style This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am a vegetarian. Many people are quick to stereotype vegetarianism as bizarre behavior, appropriate for those on another planet. I treasure our Earth, and since we only have one, we should protect it and the wildlife that populates it. But that’s only one reason to be a vegetarian.

Vegetarians may live longer, healthier lives. There is a ­correlation between red meat consumption and diseases ­including osteoporosis, kidney stones, gall stones, ­diabetes, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, gum disease, and even acne. From an economic standpoint, it requires less land, money, and energy to produce foods for a vegetarian diet. While there are many benefits to being a vegetarian, only a handful of those who attempt to adopt this lifestyle succeed.

The most important quality is dedication. We are surrounded by meat. It would be easy to forgo vegetarianism at any moment and devour a steak. This is why vegetarians must be staunch and zealous.

Creativity is almost as important as commitment. It’s easy to tire of eating nothing but ­salad. But with a little creativity and some soy products, almost any meal can become vege­tarian-friendly. Many ethnic cuisines also offer abundant flavorful options. Studying these cultures is an excellent way to generate new ideas. Another is to go to a restaurant that specializes in vegetarian food. This can spark a plethora of creative ideas.

Since creativity is a necessary attribute, it is no coincidence that many vegetarians work in creative fields. Many brilliant individuals were vegetarians, including Socrates, Leonardo da Vinci, and Albert Einstein. Some current famous vegetarians are Madonna, Paul McCartney, ­Natalie Portman, Pink, and Milo Ventimiglia.

Not everyone wants to be a vegetarian. Accepting this is part of being a vegetarian with style. Forcing your beliefs on others, by subjecting them to long lectures on the nutritional benefits of not eating meat or shoving PETA fliers in their faces, is disrespectful. Stylish vegetarians should also be able to gracefully decline a meaty dish without offending their hosts. Another differentiating quality between the stylish and the un-stylish vegetarian is the ability to stick with it. The latter group can typically be overheard saying things like “I’m a vegetarian – I just eat chicken,” or “I haven’t eaten meat in ten days. I’m a vegetarian.”

Being educated is also important. Do your ­research about different types of vegetarians, and learn as much nutritional information as possible. Your goal as a stylish vegetarian is to be healthy, not trendy. Don’t become a vegetarian solely ­because a celebrity says it’s cool. People who do rarely stick with it for long.

Being a successful vegetarian has been easy for me – I’ve been one since I was born. My family is vegetarian, so no meat is available in my house. However, constantly being surrounded by others who eat meat, and sometimes those who are not accepting of vegetarianism, can be a challenge. To be successful, I’ve relied on personal traits like flexibility, since I’m often in situations where the food choices aren’t ideal.

A common mistake is quitting before your body has adjusted to the transition. It can be difficult to stay committed in the beginning because of temptation. How­ever, this fades over time.

Another common mistake is quitting because you’ve been misinformed about the ­nutritional wisdom of being a vegetarian. That’s why it is vital to be educated. Countless people will tell you that it’s impossible to obtain the nutrients and protein your body requires without meat, but they are incorrect. People actually need only 44 to 55 grams of protein a day, and that is easily found in a vegetarian diet. Many meat eaters are consuming triple that amount, which is not beneficial; on the contrary, it has been linked with Alz­heimer’s disease. Vegetables can also supply all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients your body needs. However, if you’re still not convinced, you can take a multivitamin.

A society in which people have the constitutional right to live freely is well suited for vegetarians. If you need further convincing, read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. In a style comparable to Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle, Schlosser passionately exposes the dangers of eating meat. For great recipes, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman has got you covered.

Vegetarianism is an important cause that more people should support. PETA estimates that every vegetarian saves over a hundred animals a year. Not only is being a vegetarian healthy, but it also has a positive impact on the world.

Munch. A. said...
A lot of people eat more meat than they should which causes diseases that you mention. but the human body shows that we are omnivoires.Look at your teeth. they aren't just for chewing up lettuce and cabbage. also there are other nutrients in meat other than protein that isn't found in vegetables, and you would have to take an awful lot of multivitamins to fill the gap. even so, this article is very well done :)

vegiluvsvball replied...
Jan. 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm :

Hey Munch-Just a heads up-

Vegetarians don't just eat vegetables-that makes no sense. Just because we don't eat meat doesn't mean we don't have a food pyramid too. The only vitamin that we miss by not eating meat that is important is B12, which is easily synthesized. We don't live on vitamins-we live on food.

PaintedRocks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's great to hear there are others of our view. I've also been a vegetarian since birth, since my family is vegetarian. I have grown up with strong ideas about it, and I don't feel the least bit of temptation to have meat. My choice of vegetarianism is one of morality though, not health. I wanted to know what your views on being vegan are. I'm not vegan myself, and I think it's a little extreme. I also love milk and lots of things with milk, and I'm not giving them up! What do you think about it?

WintersRevenge said...
Oh, thank you so so much. You don't know how long I've waited to hear that other people care as much as I do. I'm a vegetarian for animal rights, and I have been since I was three years old. Over the years, I have been picked on because of my refusal to even touch meat. The annoying kids at school would tease me when I walked by, talking about how awesome dog-fighting is. When my friends bought Chick-Fil-A, I would remind them where it came from. They would give me grief about it, saying that it... (more »)

XanaMaria replied...
Jan. 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm :
I agree with you 100%. Im the only vegetarian in my family. Ever. The rest of my family are practically carnivores. I think the conditions that the animals have to live in are disgraceful. In my opinion, eating meat, fish and poultry should be banned or at the very least, greatly reduced. Animals should be living , not eaten. 

SemiVeggie said...
I just want to express how much I admire you. I am, as the name implies, a Semi-vegetarian (I don't eat red meat, but I do eat poultry and fish.) I am lucky in that my parents are also semi-vegetarians, and I know they would get behind me 100% if I decided to go veg. Therein lies the problem: they would be overzealous about it. I think a lot of people have this (or the opposite) problem. It's not about an aversion to vegetables, it's about the fact that other people are constantly hawking vegeta... (more »)

sexy boi (pedraza) said...
I dont believe that veggie's are outcasts. They are regular people just like you and me. For instance, I know a couple of vegitarians myself and dont consider them any less of a person than I am. I love them and me :D

krizzy said...
This is a very well written article on vegetarianism. I myself have tried to be a vegetarian but fail but i do not have the passion and the dedication one does need. Like you had mention.

*Elle* said...
Anyone out there a vegetarian...I congratulate you. I want to be come one. My parents is the problem. They dont approve. They think it won't healthy. So until I become of age in a yr, I ban McDonalds...and dont eat any type of fast food. They slaughter their chicken. Its just gross.

soccer27/7 replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 5:56 pm :
I agree i would at least want to dedicate a year of my life to being a vegetarian because the way animals are treated makes my stomach turn in disgust. I totally support you and I hope your parents come to realize you are trying to help this planet. :)

S. said...
I am not a vegetarian, but I am seriously considering becoming one. I know that it is a very healthy option (when done right) and I have never liked the idea of killing animals. I don't mind it, when I don't think about it. But whenever I'm eating a burger and I actually think about the fact that it used to have big brown eyes, I want to throw up.

GraemeV replied...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 12:59 am :

I'm the same!

I eat some meat, but only if it's in something - such as taco's or a pizza.
But if it's a fat slab of steak or something - it just makes me sick.

TheKing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 9:04 am :
Mmmmm... Steak...

Joshua S. replied...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 5:01 am :
Mmmmm... Big FAT steak. :D

peacemaker14 said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 11:02 pm:

this really made me think i haven't ever thought of vegitarianism the way you do and you have changed my opinion on veggitarians.

two thumbs up :D

grasslova said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:03 pm:
This is a highly intriguing article. You hit some soft spots that are prominent in our society... NICE. I too am an herbavore, and have been for about a full year. Meat has parasites, preservatives, chemicals, dyes etc in potentially every bite. Thought I am not religious about my diet, I do believe that people are better off not consuming meat of any form unless it is as a last resort or sparingly, in a spirit of thanksgiving. In a book entitled "The China Study" a study has been conducted that... (more »)

thepreechyteenagerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:29 pm:

"The latter group can typically be overheard saying things like “I’m a vegetarian – I just eat chicken,” or “I haven’t eaten meat in ten days. I’m a vegetarian.”

Being educated is also important. Do your ­research about different types of vegetarians, and learn as much nutritional information as possible."

Ok- those sentences totally clash.  Pollotarianism is a type of vegetarianiam that includes pultry in the die... (more »)

J. Rae replied...
Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm :
I was going to say exactly this! There are types of Vegetarians that only eat chicken, and some like my cousin who eat only fish. They are still Vegetarians, just a different type.

thepreechyteenagerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm :

Hey, Rae!  I think we've already met on one of AquaGems's stories!!!  How 'ya doing?  You said you'd be able to get a TeenInk account in the summer, how close are you?  Obviously, I've already gotten one :)  Can you check out one of my pieces?  I'd really love a comment on "A Secret No More".  :) Please? 

*bats eyelids*

J. Rae replied...
Aug. 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm :
Lol, of course we met before! I am not one to forget. I haven't been able to get an account for some weird reason. When I tried to put a story on the website it said that I was a member and had to login!  I am going to try to get a different email soon and see if it lets me on then, because all I've ever done is posted comments! I sent two stories to the magazine and haven't heard back for three months... hopefully they'll publish them soon. I will comment on you story right now!