Water is Important | Teen Ink

Water is Important

May 10, 2013
By Maddie_Adel SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Maddie_Adel SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When it comes to preserving water and not polluting it, people are very careless. The average American uses 123 gallons of water a day. Of all the Americans combined, 7 billion gallons of water are wasted! Water is such an important part to American’s lives, yet it is taken for granted. Plus, freshwater is carelessly polluted, so it now can carry harmful bacteria and viruses. People may not think they can do anything about it, but there are multiple ways to help, such as promoting water efficiency, protecting clean water, and preserving water ecosystems.

Firstly, promoting water efficiency is one of the most important things we as people can do. Water is so easily wasted, and being cautious about how much is being used at home is a great way to save it. The little things can make the biggest difference, such as taking shorter showers or checking faucets and pipes for any leaks. A good way to encourage using less water is to realize how much money you can save! It’s easier on the environment and your wallet. Adopting sensible standards isn’t hard to do, and it’s worth it. Be smart about the water you’re using.

Secondly, another issue with water is making sure it’s protected. Dirty water is the world’s largest health risk, and continues to threaten both quality of life and public health in the United States. When water from rain and melting snow runs off roofs and roads into our rivers, it picks up toxic chemicals, dirt, trash and disease-carrying organisms along the way. Many of our water resources lack basic protections, making them vulnerable to pollution from factory farms, industrial plants, and activities like fracking. This can lead to drinking water contamination, habitat degradation and beach closures. We need to work to protect water pollution.

Thirdly, preserving water ecosystems is a major a concern. Fish, birds, and other forms of wildlife depend on clean water, just as us humans do. Currently, more than half of America’s streams and millions of acres of wetlands are vulnerable to pollution and development. Polluters can dump into streams, developers can pave over wetlands to build malls and the officers on the environmental beat can’t do a thing about it. And it’s not just the small streams and wetlands that will suffer; these waterways are the same ones that feed our great waters and help keep them clean. Unfortunately, polluters want to throw out nearly 40 years of the Clean Water Act, leaving industries free to dump into our streams and pave over our wetlands without asking for permission, or thinking of the consequences. It is a very concerning issue that is quickly becoming a reality if no one puts a stop to it.

Promoting, protecting, and preserving water is what Americans need to start doing. Water is so important, and being unaware about how much is being wasted and polluted every day is not okay. We need to take action, because it can only get worse if people continually ignore it.