Why Can't We Care About the Planet and Ourselves?

September 14, 2011
By boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska
boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska
16 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
Our scars tell us where we have been, but do not have to dictate where we are going.


If anyone can give me a good answer to that question after you've read this article please, go ahead.
Did you know, if we take care of the planet all humans live on that we're actually helping ourselves? Why don't we keep burning fossil fuels? We shouldn't be burning fossil fuels because as a by-product of the energy they create, they release carbon dioxide. Plus, there are many more ways of creating clean, renewable energy, wind power, and solar power being the most commonly known. Or instead of buying a car that needs fossil fuels buy an electric, or even a car that uses ethanol.
By keeping the air clean, and reducing the amount of CO2 (carbon dioxide) we put into the atmosphere that we can breath clean air, and stop destroying the ozone layer. If you didn't already know, the ozone layer is actually just oxygen (three atoms instead of the normal two we need to breath).
Why is it so important that we don't destroy the ozone layer? It's actually really important, the ozone layer filters heat, and ultraviolet (UV) rays, keeping some of it out of the atmosphere. If we destroy the ozone, there won't be a filter, the harmful UV rays will come at us, causing more cases of skin cancer. Not only that but, without the ozone, the glaciers will melt, making the sea levels rise. If the sea levels rise, then much of Mexico will be underwater, along with many other countries, killing who knows how many.
Why do we have to keep the water clean, isn't most of the world covered in water? As a matter of fact, about 75% of the planet earth is covered in water. The problem is, 97% of that water is salt water, which leaves only 3% of it as fresh water. The big problem is that only 1/3 of this fresh water is drinkable. By keeping the waters clean we create more drinkable water.
The only thing I don't understand about the water shortage is this: Why is it, when we know how the water cycle works, we don't collect the salt water, make it evaporate, make a cloud, and make fresh water?Wouldn't that be the easiest solution?
Even if you don't think global warming is a problem, or if you think it's fake, we should go green, and keep our planet clean, so that global warming doesn't happen.
So please, now that you've read, if you can give me a good reason not to go green, go ahead.


The author's comments:
Working on science homework inspired me out of boredom.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 4 comments.


boklenhle GOLD said...
on Dec. 11 2013 at 6:50 pm
boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska
16 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
Our scars tell us where we have been, but do not have to dictate where we are going.

Thank you so much! And yes, I agree.

on Oct. 25 2013 at 12:56 am
this inspired me a lot and i am teen of 15 i understand my values its need to be understand to the society that environment degredation and many more things which happpen need to be control and can control if we show concern to the environment which make ourselves even careful

boklenhle GOLD said...
on Sep. 24 2011 at 1:43 pm
boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska
16 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
Our scars tell us where we have been, but do not have to dictate where we are going.

thanks! that's a great idea!(:

on Sep. 21 2011 at 5:32 pm
Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
7 articles 1 photo 386 comments
Oh I agree but I think you need to come up with a solution: what can one individual teen do to help? Then this would be really good!


Parkland Book