Today's Littering and Pollution Issues | Teen Ink

Today's Littering and Pollution Issues

June 15, 2011
By Kayla Barr BRONZE, East Greenbush, New York
Kayla Barr BRONZE, East Greenbush, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Littering and pollution is a major issue around the world today. It affects all of our lives, and will affect us for years to come. All of this because of our poor judgement and actions. We can prevent all this harm to our planet by reducing, reusing, and recycling.
People are ignorant to the harm they are doing to the planet. Even throwing your gum out the window of your car plays a part in littering and pollution. Every where we look there are, “Save the polar bears!” signs and yet we act like we do not even see them. Those signs are there for two reasons: because we are the ones who have done this to the polar bears and because people need to know what they have done to innocent creatures over the years.
Littering and pollution play a major part in our lives. Everywhere we walk and drive there is trash on the side of the roads, being thrown out windows, and dangling from tree limbs. Millions of children see this everyday. What kind of example are we setting for the children? If we begin to help in even the smallest of ways we can change this. We could make the earth a better place.Our health would improve and not everything we touch would be made from un-recycled materials that would sit in a landfill for years.
Some people however may not even know they’re littering. Cigarettes, cardboard boxes, even cups from a drive through can harm the environment even if they seem bio-degradable. Some ways we can help with the problem is by switching from paper napkins to cloth, bringing old grocery bags or even cloth bags to use as grocery bags to minimize the amount of waste that ends up in landfills and etc. Just simple changes like this can help in solving this major issue.
If we want our future generations to be healthy and survive we need to start now. If we do not, our future generations may never even exist. We may think this problem will solve it’s self but it won’t. We have to fix it together.