Nuclear Power | Teen Ink

Nuclear Power

By Sean Kelly BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
Sean Kelly BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan

I think that nuclear power has the potential to be a great and sufficient way to produce energy on a large scale if we can utilize its power in a safe, secure, and efficient way. One of the problems that nuclear power poses is its safety. There have been a number of incidents in the to support this. One such incident occurred in a town in Russia called Chernobyl. The town is now barren. One of the safety problems concerned with nuclear power is radiation leaks. This could potentially intoxicate an entire area; as shown in Chernobyl. Another safety issue concerned with nuclear power is radiation. This could make entire areas become poisoned and barren for thousands of years to come. One final safety issue associated with nuclear power is a nuclear explosion. This would destroy an entire area making it unlivable for thousands of years. Another issue with nuclear power is its security. This is an issue because if nuclear power’s secrets were revealed they could be found by terrorists and could be used to create nuclear bombs and weapons. Another concern with nuclear power is its efficiency. If we had nuclear power it would have to be efficient otherwise some problems could result such as: too high of a cost for power, a waste or overuse of minerals and materials used in the process of generating nuclear power, and finally too much nuclear waste and there not being a safe way of disposing of it. If nuclear power were utilized in a safe, secure, and efficient way there would be many pros to it. One of the pros would be having a mass source of energy that could be used for almost anything that also lasts a long time and is emission-free. Another pro is that we could drastically reduce our dependency on foreign oil and fossil fuels. Another pro being we could reduce our mining and other harmful activities that damage the environment in order to gain fuels and minerals. We could also have a cheaper source of energy and fuel. And as a result of our reduced emissions; smog, acid rain, and other environmental pollutants that harm the ecosystem and the atmosphere could be reduced. These are some of the pros and cons of nuclear power as it stands today. And maybe, sometime in the not-so-distant future, we may be able to solve these problems and utilize nuclear power as a large-scale, safe, efficient, and secure source of fuel and energy.