Veggie or Not? | Teen Ink

Veggie or Not?

By TheSilentOne BRONZE, Piscataway, New Jersey
TheSilentOne BRONZE, Piscataway, New Jersey

The question isn't whose going to let me, its who is going to stop me. -Ayn Rand

For thirteen years of my life, I ate the flesh of the less intelligent beings surrounding me. Ever since I was six and realized that chicken was in real chicken, I considered that that was the only way of life, big things eat little things, but then the more I saw of the world, the more I realized that to eat animals was a dangerous wrongdoing. I could not consider myself a kind helper to the beasts around me if I condoned it. The more I learned about it, the more I found out about the many advantages of being a vegetarian and why I should become one too. Did you know that being a vegetarian helps the environment and is also a better, healthier way to live? I didn’t either. Now I realize the downside of unthinkingly devouring the tempting meat around me. Also, should I not do it just for the moral righteousness of it?

In addition, being a vegetarian is a way to be eco-friendly. By not eating meat, I conserve the slowly disappearing fossil fuels in our environment. It takes 78 calories of fossil fuel to produce one calorie of beef protein but only one calorie of fossil fuel to produce a calorie of soybeans. Plant-eaters also contribute to water conservation as it takes nearly three to fifteen times as much water to produce animal protein as it does to produce plant protein. It is also a more efficient use of grains since it takes three to six pounds of soybeans and grains to produce only one pound of turkey, so by eating the grains directly, it is making better use of the food supply. This in addition adds to soil conservation. When grains and legumes are used more effectively, our valued topsoil is conserved. Not eating meat even saves the rainforest as tropical forests in Brazil and other areas are being annihilated to create more land to raise livestock. This extinguishes our oxygen stock and irreversibly eliminates any chance of finding botanical resources which we can use to create new medicines for the well-being of mankind.

Health benefits of being a vegetarian are endless. Many are under the misconception that the right amount of protein cannot be obtained by eating mainly plant life, but that is an outright lie. There are no nutrients which are needed for favorable human functioning, that you cannot receive from plants. Eating mainly veggies, also gives protection from an array of diseases and unhealthy conditions. Animal foods can increase cholesterol and are high in saturated fat. They are also deficient in carbohydrates, fibers, and vitamins. A host of dangerous bacteria and viruses are found in meat. Meat eaters increase their chance of getting heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, kidney stone, arthritis, and obesity. Foods from certain animals contain their bodily wastes which give to the main “flavor” of a meaty meal. The average American eats 400% of the RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) for protein, causing lifelong health problems. Being vegetarian decreases your chance of getting so many illnesses, giving you a chance at having a longer life. Who does not want to live longer?

The main reason to be a plant eater is for the morality of it. You may say you love animals as you do a fellow human being, that you believe in animal rights, and do not tolerate animals in pain, but can you honestly and respectfully say that while eating a hamburger? I don’t believe that anyone can take a stand to save the animals and support their plight while eating them for lunch. It is unfathomable to me and I cannot make sense of it. Slaughter of any being should not be condoned if you believe in nonviolence. You may think it will be too difficult if you have been eating the flesh and blood of animals your entire life and that you will not be able to put a stop to it, but I assure you that you will be able to resist the temptation if you put your mind to it. Once you start, you will have a clear conscience and realize that what you are doing is for the best. Others will soon follow your example if you show them the gratification you felt when you follow a veggie lifestyle and show them that being “meatless” is the right option.

As you can see, there are hundreds of reasons why you should live a life devoid of meat. Being meat-free is healthy, helps the environment, and is the overall right thing to do. Looking at these reasons, why should you not be a vegetarian? It is beyond comprehension to me. There are many vegetable based substitutes to meat products that will satisfy your appetite and also whatever doubts you may have of the lack of fat in a vegetable only diet. Also if you feel that there is not enough variety, well then that is just poppycock! There is an assortment of delicious salads, soups, sandwiches, vegetables, and fruits to choose from which are healthy for you. Meat foods also tend to cost more than a veggie meal so you are saving money as well. Your food is easily digested and a bundle of nutrition is provided in a vegetarian diet. Also, many people think that it is okay to eat animals because it is just the “way of life.” The world is divided into the hunters and the hunted, and the latter are at our mercy. But I ask this: if a being is less intelligent than you, do you consider yourself, the intelligent being, to have the right to take its life? Maybe this is a manner of thinking but in my opinion if you can kill a beast, then there is no knowing that you cannot do it to a human either. Follow my suit and choose to be a vegetarian, trust me, you’ll be happy that you did.