Once Protected, now hunted | Teen Ink

Once Protected, now hunted

May 13, 2010
By Lizzylizard BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Lizzylizard BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fairy tales are more than true: Not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated." ~G.K Chesterton


Wolves have existed for thousands of years. The respected animals that once practically ruled the Earth, the world’s most fearsome natural villains. To Indians, wolves were a sacred totem; which stands for strength and, faith. What would happen if wolves went extinct? What would all the wolf-loving people do if their fearsome hunters were being chased away? Some things have changed from a hundred years ago from now, and hopefully it will change in the future. We have to save what’s left of our precious animals, before it’s too late.

In 2008, there were nearly one-thousand four-hundred, fifty-five wolves, and one-hundred ninety-seven packs. Back in 1980, there were about eighty red wolves that remained; most of which were placed in captivity. They were soon reintroduced to North Carolina’s wild in 1987. Six-thousand to ten-thousand wolves lived in Alaska in the mid-1980. There were only one-thousand, three-hundred wolves that lived somewhere else in the United States, and most of them in Minnesota. Ranchers’ and government agents started a campaign that eliminated wolves. Bounty programs were initiated in the nine-teenth19th century through 1965, and offered twenty to fifty dollars per wolf. To me, that is animal cruelty. People back then shouldn’t be killing wolves for no reason but money. Some things have changed through the years and one major thing is extinction.

They are now at very high risk, since they’ve been out of protection. They are being hunted now more than they ever have all because they eat farmers’ animals (deer, horses, elk etc.). even though farmers lose their livestock, it’s no reason to hunt the creatures till there are not any left. They’re just animals that are hungry and if livestock is in their path then those are the things they’ll eat. One-thousand wolves have been killed by aerial gunning in Alaska since 2003, and state officials plan on killing even more with the aerial gunning, poison gas, and snares. Now days only about one-hundred red wolves are walking free in the wild; but if they keep being hunted, the number will be 10 or less. Other reasons they’re being hunted is because people are afraid of them; their spine-tingling howl. People think wolves will attack them, but actually wolves are pretty calm creatures. They stay away and avoid people as much as they can and only attack if provoked. We have to do what we can to save them: to change the future.

I believe everyone can save the wolves in the world. The main problem solver is to stop hunting them; doing this will bring that low number of red wolves up and before we know it the population will be rising each year. I would rather have this world over populated with them, than not have any walking the land. I think the wolves play a very special part in the world and in the future they are not treated as they have been in the past, or how they’re being treated now. It’s just a more complicated way of saying, “animal abuse”.

I think everyone needs to look at it in the wolves prospective; they are just like us. They do what they want, and fight for what’s theirs. If it was us, I think ninety percent of everyone would be doing exactly what the wolves are doing now; I think we could be pretty mad and irritated if people were killing our family and friends because we were eating something that belonged to someone. All the people hunting the animals are being hypocritical, and it all needs to stop.