Should hunting animals still be considered a sport? | Teen Ink

Should hunting animals still be considered a sport?

March 31, 2010
By Anonymous

As far as we know, games are meant to be fun, harmless, and fair. We celebrate the triumph of victory and collect our awards. However, should heartless murder of defenseless animals be considered a sport? In particular, animals living in the wild are the unseen victims of abuse. Their lives are cut short for the sake of greed and the thrill of sadistic hunting sports. It’s sickening how every form of violence and cruelty imaginable are inflicted upon wild animals and yet a majority of people are unaware of it.


One huge reason for slaying animals for fun would have to be the fur trade. Fur has long been associated with fashion but few people care that they are wearing the bodies of dead animals. All of this over materialism and making money. Approximately four million animals are killed each year by trappers in the United States such as foxes, raccoons, bears, birds, deers, rabbits, and much more. Logically, we could survive without having to use fur for we already have cloth, cotton, and other types of fabric.


Additionally, hunting destroys the national balance of animals populations. Several species have been wiped out partially because of hunting, therefore becoming extinct. There are already a number of endangered species estimated through 2006. Animals play just as much of an important role as humans do. They teach us the importance of sharing since humans are not the only living creatures on this planet.


Furthermore, there are also a couple of issues for the hunters. Approximately a hundred people die in hunting accidents every year. A lot of them are injuries and fatalities. In addition, hunting has been a popular reason for human conflicts as well. Studies have shown that car/deer collision increase during hunting season because hunters frighten the deers out of the woods and onto the roads. Regardless, animal hunting is a pointless sport that costs a lot of money to pay for the rifles and acres of land used for hunting. Plus, hunting illegally is a penalty under animal cruelty in the United States and other countries.


Based on the previous reasons provided, animal hunting should be banned. It isn’t worth paying a large amount of money on fur. Thus, it promotes extinction and the world would be absurdly over-populated with humans. Moreover, hunting also has its drawbacks with hunters and society. Animals help make our Earth unique. Adding on, a wonder and are interesting to learn about. We’ve been taking these creatures for granted; and we should give them a chance to live.