Should hunting animals still be considered a sport?

As far as we know, games are meant to be fun, harmless, and fair. We celebrate the triumph of victory and collect our awards. However, should heartless murder of defenseless animals be considered a sport? In particular, animals living in the wild are the unseen victims of abuse. Their lives are cut short for the sake of greed and the thrill of sadistic hunting sports. It’s sickening how every form of violence and cruelty imaginable are inflicted upon wild animals and yet a majority of people are unaware of it.

One huge reason for slaying animals for fun would have to be the fur trade. Fur has long been associated with fashion but few people care that they are wearing the bodies of dead animals. All of this over materialism and making money. Approximately four million animals are killed each year by trappers in the United States such as foxes, raccoons, bears, birds, deers, rabbits, and much more. Logically, we could survive without having to use fur for we already have cloth, cotton, and other types of fabric.

Additionally, hunting destroys the national balance of animals populations. Several species have been wiped out partially because of hunting, therefore becoming extinct. There are already a number of endangered species estimated through 2006. Animals play just as much of an important role as humans do. They teach us the importance of sharing since humans are not the only living creatures on this planet.

Furthermore, there are also a couple of issues for the hunters. Approximately a hundred people die in hunting accidents every year. A lot of them are injuries and fatalities. In addition, hunting has been a popular reason for human conflicts as well. Studies have shown that car/deer collision increase during hunting season because hunters frighten the deers out of the woods and onto the roads. Regardless, animal hunting is a pointless sport that costs a lot of money to pay for the rifles and acres of land used for hunting. Plus, hunting illegally is a penalty under animal cruelty in the United States and other countries.

Based on the previous reasons provided, animal hunting should be banned. It isn’t worth paying a large amount of money on fur. Thus, it promotes extinction and the world would be absurdly over-populated with humans. Moreover, hunting also has its drawbacks with hunters and society. Animals help make our Earth unique. Adding on, a wonder and are interesting to learn about. We’ve been taking these creatures for granted; and we should give them a chance to live.

Nonamecozmywishna said...
May 7, 2016 at 10:29 am
What is this...❤ Nothing I was joking

Nonamecozmywishna said...
May 7, 2016 at 10:29 am
What is this...❤ Nothing I was joking

huntinforlife said...
Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:17 am
Hunting has always been a way of life for me. If you think hunting is bad keep your nose out of it. Some people are affended by these articles that are far from the truth.

David/Goliath123 said...
Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:51 am
I went hunting over two weeks ago and based on what you said in you essay, people who respect the hunting regulations in place should have our guns confiscated, all meat pulled of the shelves in grocery store, and our ammunition destroyed.  Wake up and get out of your basement you tool of Nancy Pelosi you!

huntingalltheway said...
I am sorry to report to you that every fact that was said in the post below by nick five was 100% true without deer hunting more cars will be hit and more deaths will result. more than the amount of people killed during hunting

Nick5 said...
While reading I shot down every argument you had. Especially on fairness. Besides blanket-partying or Chinese Water Torture, I don't know anything less fair than deer hunting. Deer (not "deers") are faster and quieter. They know the area better and can blend in easier. Sometimes you have to get up at four in the morning just to see them out of range. The fur trade has ended, market-hunters, at least in America, no longer exist. Poachers; I hate them too, but they are sick and tw... (more »)

Sonata16 said...

Don't get me wrong. I thought your article was well written, but it was one sided and biased.

You mentioned in your first paragraph that we celebrate the triumph of victory and collect our rewards. Well, I myself am a hunter. And I consider it a reward after months of preparation just for one season where I may or may not get anything. It is called "hunting,"as opposed to "killing,"for a reason. Also, you failed to mention that the vast majority of hunters eat what they kill. 80% of th... (more »)

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I totally agree with everything you said. i think animals have a right to live as much as we do!

Very nice article! I liked it a lot. Keep up the great work and feel free to check out my articles too!

5 stars!!!