The Modern Zoo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I would like to begin by defining “zoo.” It is a park-like area in which live animals are kept in cages or large enclosures for public exhibit. Hold on, large enclosures? More like tiny cages. As zoo funds are cut, cages become smaller with less foliage.

To many people it is obvious that keeping an elephant in a small enclosure is unkind. Zoos assert claims of conservation, research, and education, and most visitors buy it. They believe that keeping polar bears locked up in “sanctuaries” with fake ice is better than to have them out in the wild. This is understandable, since the polar ice is melting. However, both problems are caused by humans: global warming contributes to the ice melting, and the need for constant entertainment creates zoos. A survey taken by the World Society for the Protection of Animals found that 80 percent of people believed animals were not receiving proper treatment.

Zoos claim to educate visitors. Yet we’ve all seen the one-sentence signs that describe monkeys. What can be learned from this? Certainly not enough to justify inhumane captivity.

These animals are simply meant to entertain. For example, look at the red pandas at the Bronx Zoo. Are they treated with respect? No: these pandas are a few feet from hundreds of cars zooming by on the expressway, with only a fence to separate them. Are these fit conditions for an almost-extinct animal?

Zoo animals endure inadequate living conditions with no space. Captive populations are not large enough to provide a good gene pool to preserve their species, and they have too much interaction with humans. Yet people will still come to see these rare animals that belong thousands of miles away. It just shows how desperate we’ve become for entertainment. This is the ultimate disrespect to a species.

The claim that most zoos make to justify the captivity of animals is increasing destruction of natural habitat. The rainforests are being destroyed at the rate of thousands of acres a day. Animals have been breeding and migrating for a long time. And they’ve done it well. The destruction of the environment is a valid reason for helping them. But a line must be drawn between help and destruction.

Many zoos have the problem of surplus animals due to excessive breeding. What do you think the zoos do with them? Mostly they destroy them. Normally animals leave their parents and venture into the wild when they come of age, but zoo captivity does not allow for this. Woburn Safari Park recently admitted that they kill surplus monkeys. Sometimes the animals are packed like trash and shipped off to other zoos. Or they are what zoos call “recycled” (fed to other species in the zoo). Other surplus animals are given to laboratories for experiments.

By 2010 the world will have almost seven billion people. Thus the need for more zoos arises. Where will these animals come from? Certainly many will be bred in captivity, yet the majority are caught in the wild. About 35 species of animals go extinct every day in the rainforest. Perhaps taking these animals to zoos is better than allowing them to die in the diminishing wild, but clearly the conditions in zoos must be improved.

Is the power and beauty of nature apparent in zoos? This is what they claim to give you for your money. A zoo cage typically consists of a few animals sitting in confinement with nothing but plastic trees and brick walls. Their eyes hold a lifetime of sadness and emptiness. Can you blame them? Every day people stare at them, tap on the glass, and make faces to scare them or get them to move. Signs prohibit photography, yet tourists still take pictures. They don’t understand or care how much the flash terrifies the animals. A recent study found that, on average, visitors spent less than three minutes looking at each exhibit – some even as little as nine seconds. It is true that we get to see animals we otherwise wouldn’t. Without zoos we’d have to see them on TV or read about them. But is a minute of pleasure enough to justify a life sentence of confinement in a tiny cage?

Animals are tortured by zoos. Many lions will walk around in circles all day. This kind of behavior is especially apparent in tall animals like elephants and giraffes, which might chew the plastic foliage or bang on the bars of their cages. Some monkeys turn to self-mutilation after they have expended all the amusement provided in their cages. Birds are not able to fly in their mesh enclosures. Some stop trying. After a few years, most can no longer fly.

The night quarters are the worst. We do not see the tiny cages behind the chimpanzee enclosure where they are locked up with hardly enough room to move. But most animals just hide and sleep, like a never-ending hibernation.

More zoos will be created in the next 25 years. In captivity the once-proud creatures of the wild exhibit only shame. Shame on the human race for doing this to these animals. Perhaps the future of these animals does rest in zoos, but we can make zoos more humane. By doing simple things such as donating $5 to a project designed to stop zoo cruelty or increase the cage size, you can make a difference.

monster...rns said...
Feb. 24 at 12:33 pm
good job ur awesome  

Setizia said...
Feb. 13 at 9:20 pm
This was very intriguing, and brought up some very good points which are often overlooked. Great job, keep it up!

Joy78 said...
Feb. 2 at 6:40 pm
This was very well written and hopefully will enlightning, whoever reads it, about the abuse the animals reiceves.

Bones96 said...
Nov. 2, 2012 at 11:28 am
  Your article was well written and I respect your option as well as agree with some of what you said. However I believe you have failed to realize an important fact. A lot of animals in zoos today where born in captivity. Yes animals have strong instincts that help them survive in their natural habitat. But they also learn most their survival skills from their parents who have probably been in captivity for quite a while or where also born in captivity. This would prevent the animal from... (more »)

hellokitty said...
i think that the article was the tieeniest bit exaggrated but then everything else was true. the zoos are keeping the animals from where they really belong so that the make money. thats not fair of you need money open a  bank account and then get your money from there. also i  seen the elephants in the zoo the area they are in is not healthy. AT ALL under any circumstances i think its not fair that tehy get to live inthe open while they trap the animals how would they feel about that s... (more »)

MJrules said...
ur really not the smartest person, zoos are fine, in fact most of the animals there were rescued as babies. they are fine and you have no need to worry.

hellokitty replied...
praticlly true

peanutcandy replied...
And how does that make it okay?  Are you saying that because they were there since they were babies it makes it okay for them to be confined?

OhMyGoogle said...
Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:33 am
I'm not sure what zoos you've been to, but what you see is almost never what you get.  Most species have other, behind the scenes enclosures and facilities.  As an animal rights enthusiast I respect your opinion, but as a future zoologist, I must defend the good that zoos and wildlife preserves are doing both for the animals and for the spectators.

strangeandbitterfriends155 said...

Thank you sir! Except for that part at the end, where you killed it. contribute five dollars to a project how many times have we heard this before? You think it works?

I'm sorry--I'm not trying to offend you, and you're peice itself is very persuasive and well written. I just feel we neded to recognize that A) humans are causeing the problem, like you said, and B) THE EARTH DOES NOT HAVE CANCER; don't try to slow the damamge, STOP it. C) it is specificaly easy no-effort solutions... (more »)

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
ladada. okay first,amazing piece. you did really well. secondly,there are things that people do behind closed doors. everything can seem perfectly fine when really it's all wrong. you cannot base your"you're wrong,zoos are great" comments when some zoos are ran the wrong way and dont have the things animals need. i think this piece was to point out that some zoos arent ran the way they should be,to maybe open some eyes out so poeple can work towards making them better. you just have to take in ... (more »)

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
ooops.*you cannot base your"youre wrong,zoos are great" comments on the few zoos that look like theyre doing good jobs. or something like that xD mahbaddd

strangeandbitterfriends155 replied...

I'm sorry--I'm not trying to offend you, and you're peice itself is very persuasive and well written. I just feel we neded to recognize that A) humans are causeing the problem, like you said, and B) THE EARTH DOES NOT HAVE CANCER; don't try to slow the damamge, STOP it. C) it is specificaly easy no-effort solutions like ... (more »)

yomoma1 said...
hxexhkeyckfuc3ykrf,ucviuvx cxgxg vhym vxnh gvymh n g bthngrvtgb nvbhn vth nvbyj chb ych yh byhxbyhndgyhbgvyh vgmyhv hy dbyh gbdnyhg yb fdygyb ybdmb bhy bdyhbyhbdbyh byhbdyhbdyhbyhbyhbyhbdbyhbsynhb hh ynyh nbdv vh bvhy bv yhndv bhv bhy mvhdn vymd hdgvh ugydjgvm dyj mkgb yhmvg yh vg yhdv hyvhyv udub jdybbhy

yo momwe3d said...
lksjadjfljklfdsjkljl;fdjsiojeriao;g j dasfj;r fgior grg dskgjosdig freogrigjsdklfjkdfj ierojfiserfier fisfksdjkfj ei9fiesfjiefh ieshfjeio wfeeiof eiofes feiof jeisjoijcufefco9eriufisa fveisfjofjdsfdkls;fafesifjfioe fkd flkds;feif feifewifweohi;few;ifseef;f ifjwe;fj;fj;weifweh;

thatpersonwhosalive said...
Jan. 21, 2012 at 9:50 am
Our zoo IS humane and has large enclosures. There were 3 monkeys (gold lion tamarans) in a 5x10 cage. They're also building a new enclosure for polar bears which will be nicer than the current one (our zoo was also home to Debbie, oldest bear in captivity!)

AyeLove<3 said...
that's sad.... D:

arcanine24 said...
i agree, but some zoos are humane

Luminescent said...
Not all zoos are inhumane. If you've good zoos, you'll see that the animals are very well taken care of. I have a great aunt who comes to visit occasionally who works at the zoo. On trips there a few times, she's guided us around. They have some amazing exhibits, and the zookeepers take care to make sure the animals have entertainment, good food, and are in an environment that is identical to their wild one. I've even watched zookeepers get into water fights with the elephants, who have a great... (more »)

ellebell1919 said...
Dec. 23, 2011 at 12:38 am
You told all about how negative zoos are and how we must change this but to conclude you had one sentence about how we can donate five dollars to an organization that you didn't even name! Please add on to this piece saying what we can actually do to help. This was very imformative and really opened my eyes to this problem, which is great but it would be even better if you went on to say how I can help!