Something Must Be Done | Teen Ink

Something Must Be Done

By FlyingAlight SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
FlyingAlight SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia

No matter if you believe humans have created Global Warming by destroying the ozone layer or if you believe that the Earth goes through natural hot and cold cycles, it is clear something must be done to end or consuming habits. We, as a world, carelessly waste energy, but we as Americans waste the most out of all creatures. We consume the most and produce absolutely nothing in comparison. America is responsible for using more than 95% of the Earth’s resources when we barely make up a fraction of the population.
There are many calls for reform out there. There are multiple “Go Green” campaigns and many ways in which to conserve consumption. However, why does our country, who has approximately the same population of Bangladesh, NEED to consume so much energy? And yes, our compulsive consumption of energy has become a sort of addiction.
Why do we need four/five story houses? Why do we need to buy the gas guzzling hummer? Why do we need to drive instead of walk? Why do we need to take 30-minute showers?
I do not write this to persuade anyone; rather I ask that you reexamine your position. Choosing to conserve energy is a conscious lifestyle choice so shouldn’t the choice to consume massive amounts of energy be a conscious decision as well. I believe our addiction to consumption is directly related to our constant pursuit of material possessions. The need for big houses and enormous cars stems from social pressures to show your status. No other nation is as materialistic as America and no other nation consumes as much energy.
I want you to ask yourself if a difference is to be made in our consumption addiction, then is it possible for us to shake all of our unnecessary material desires?

AlaNova ELITE said...
AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois

Dalai Lama said, "There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called YESTERDAY and the other is called TOMORROW, so today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly live..."

@FlyingAlight, I completely agree!: whether or not you believe humans beings are to blame for the rising greenhouse gas effect, we need to seriously reconsider our stance in consumption. It's utterly shocking how much waste we produce, and it is seriously unnecessary... Wonderful job, bravi.

kriti said...
on Mar. 22 2010 at 6:29 am
gud ya,,,,,,,,,,

on Feb. 11 2010 at 10:26 am
DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
This is VERY persuasive and strong. I really lik the words u chose and how passionate u r on the subject. im with u, i think that everyone should change their habits, and i think this is an awesome way to put that out there. Very impressive!!