The Smallest Idea, can Make the Biggest Difference

Recently in December, I informed a teacher at my Middle School of this idea that is cost effective and also saves the environment.
The idea was to recycle our school’s cardboard lunch trays by placing them on a recycling table after depositing the trash into nearby garbage cans.

The concept was to simply set up a collection point in the form of a school table in the most populated places of the lunch areas and surrounded them with trashcans for easier accessibility.
The table is surrounded by trash cans to deposit the food. The paper lunch trays piled on the tables.
At the end of the day, we were able to save around 640 lunch trays, the equivalent of filling four large garbage cans.
There are 180 school days in the school’s year of which around seven don’t offer a lunch period. If a school implemented this simple idea on the first day, this practice could save around over 110,720 recyclable trays each school year. If the six million students in California in its 9,900 schools used this practice it could save over 6,336,000 lunch trays per day or around 1,096,128,000 per year.

jonas_chic899 said...
thats nice, that u started that idea:) goood job!!!

AliciaW. replied...
Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:23 am
Thank you! =)

Maggie said...
Apr. 9, 2010 at 1:09 am
Alicia, this is really a good idea and a good article. Thank you for sharing your idea. Go!!

AliciaW. replied...
Thanks!! =)

chuehlan said...
Apr. 4, 2010 at 12:19 am

It is a good thing to help Earth

go to green,I like it.

AliciaW. replied...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 2:56 am
thankyou chehlan... This project, although small, has made a very big difference 2 my school, and hopefully, will inspire others 2 make a greater impact to the world we live in. ^.^

netnaz said...
Apr. 4, 2010 at 12:02 am

I like this article. This is such a good idea. Recycling lunch trays is a part of giving back to the community by being eco-friendly. Everyone should take part in recycling. Nice topic.

Nenette

netnaz said...
Apr. 4, 2010 at 12:01 am

Nenette

AliciaW. replied...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 2:53 am
thanks netnaz!!

hannah <3 said...
great article!!!!!!!!!!! it was so great!!

AliciaW. replied...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 2:52 am
thanks hannah <3 for the possitive incouragement! ^.^

BoredToDeath said...
woah.. that is alot of box thingys great work

AliciaW. replied...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 2:51 am
:) thanks!! I was surprised when the numbers came out 2.

*Mariah* said...
Hi great article!!! Your mom works with my mom so thats how I saw your article!! That was a great idea, keep up the good work!!!

AliciaW. replied...
Apr. 3, 2010 at 2:54 am
thanks Mariah!! XD

Shirowid said...

Great article and wonderful idea. Keep it up.

Also, thanks Alicia for your valuable comment for my article' Gifted kids can change the world.

AliciaW. replied...
Apr. 3, 2010 at 2:53 am
you're welcome!! :)

smiley169391 said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 12:44 am
Well, I am changing my user name back to smiley169391 again because on my poems, I saw a few comments with the same username as I, so I thought I should switch. But apparently, it was just my mom. She forgot to sign out of my user before she posted a comment. :p

mgifford said...
Good article and great idea, Alicia. This planet could use more of this type of thinking.

AliciaW. replied...
Thanks Mr. Gifford!!