The Smallest Idea, can Make the Biggest Difference

Recently in December, I informed a teacher at my Middle School of this idea that is cost effective and also saves the environment.
The idea was to recycle our school’s cardboard lunch trays by placing them on a recycling table after depositing the trash into nearby garbage cans.

The concept was to simply set up a collection point in the form of a school table in the most populated places of the lunch areas and surrounded them with trashcans for easier accessibility.
The table is surrounded by trash cans to deposit the food. The paper lunch trays piled on the tables.
At the end of the day, we were able to save around 640 lunch trays, the equivalent of filling four large garbage cans.
There are 180 school days in the school’s year of which around seven don’t offer a lunch period. If a school implemented this simple idea on the first day, this practice could save around over 110,720 recyclable trays each school year. If the six million students in California in its 9,900 schools used this practice it could save over 6,336,000 lunch trays per day or around 1,096,128,000 per year.

SATVIK said...
May 1, 2011 at 4:12 am:
HI ALICIA,I IKE YOUR IDEA FROM LUNC TRAYS RECYCLING,IN INDIA I WOULD SUGGEST IT TO MY SCHOOL

AliciaW. replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 2:35 am :

Wow, it's nice to know that people like you, as far as India are reading this!

That's great! How did it go?

environmentguy said...
Hey thats a really great idea! I actually stumbled upon this website I thought you might like...ourgreentomorrow.org. its a contest things thats sort of up your alley and about the planet. Good luck with your ideas!

AliciaW. replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 2:33 am :
Thank you! The website you linked to me is really interesting!

peacemaker14 said...
really awesome! and the numbers are almost un believable!!! all that in california alone one small i dea really can make a big difference!! thanks for writing this it really made me think!

AliciaW. replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 2:32 am :
Haha. Thanks =)

Impressed said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 10:19 pm:

Hey Alicia w. great article! i'm gonna pitch this ide at my school too! Its a small, but effective way to help the Earth.

Keep making ideas!

-impressed

AliciaW. replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 2:31 am :
Hey! Thanks! That's a great idea! I appologize for my slow reply, school has been keeping me busy. How did it go?

Way To Go! said...
May 21, 2010 at 1:39 am:
Hi, I'm a friend of "west", he told me to come to this site. I agree with him on all the things that he has said. I Just want 2 add something else. Keep trying to make a difference in this world. The result is what we make of it. So don't ever give up! Radical idea.

AliciaW. replied...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 11:58 pm :
Hey Way To Go! Its nice to know that word is getting around about this project! ^.^

West said...
May 21, 2010 at 1:36 am:
Hey, Alicia W., this is an awsome idea! The numbers you presented were really breath taking. I hope your school will keep using this idea to save our world slowly. Once again, AWSOME idea. Thanks for making a difference!

AliciaW. replied...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 12:00 am :
Hey West, thanks for telling your friend to read my article! Thanks for the great comment to!

Aelita said...
May 9, 2010 at 9:50 pm:
Way to go, Alicia W.!!!  It's great that you care about our planet enough to implement a change like that!

AliciaW. replied...
May 12, 2010 at 1:48 am :
Thanks so much Aelita!! :D

krazykathleen said...
May 5, 2010 at 4:44 pm:
Very cool!!

AliciaW. replied...
May 9, 2010 at 7:45 pm :
Thanks for reading this!

MaggieC said...
Great idea, Alicia.  It sounds like a simple idea to implement and we will be doing such a difference for the enviroment.  You have thought of a great idea to reclycle a big amount of trash. I've heare your are very very smart and I look forward to reading more outstanding work from you. I work with you mom; shes a great person and im sure you are too.

AliciaW. replied...
Apr. 26, 2010 at 11:50 pm :
Thank you Maggie!. I do aim to try and save what resources we have left. My mom talks to me about you to. She says you are an outstanding nurse, great w/ patients and people. Thanks for the feedback! ^.^

chueh said...

Hi alicia

I realy like your idea from school,s lunch trays recycling

AliciaW. replied...
Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:23 am :
Thankyou chuehh. I am very grateful for your comment.