SeaWorld Is No World for an Orca | Teen Ink

SeaWorld Is No World for an Orca

By averyh2019 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
averyh2019 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Many of us have a soft spot for animals. We want them to live safe and fulfilling lives, but by financing zoos and marine parks like SeaWorld, are we doing the best thing for them? The 2013 documentary “Blackfish” directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite reveals how SeaWorld has treated their prize possessions, orcas, over the past thirty years and the programs we as entertainment seekers are funding. The film questions the educational value of SeaWorld and their orca program as well as if keeping orcas in captivity is morally correct.

It has been five years since “Blackfish” was released, so why are we still talking about it? I visited SeaWorld two years ago. My only recollection was watching the distraught orcas slowly circle their small, barren tank. Maybe the better question is why are they still in captivity?

Humans feel excitement, happiness, grief, loneliness, and other complicated emotions we do not associate with the animal kingdom. Orcas are not only capable of feeling these complex emotions, but might have more emotional depth than humans. If orcas and humans are equal in emotional intelligence, how is keeping them in captivity any different than solitary confinement?

Even if you do not feel a connection to these majestic animals, their presence at marine parks are not benefiting humans. SeaWorld’s educational system has been proven time and time again to be inaccurate and the dangers posed to trainers on a daily basis outway the experiences.

In other words, holding orcas captive causes harm to animals and humans.

In 2010, co-creator of Cascadia Research Collective Robin Baird witnessed an orca mother carrying her dead calf in an attempt to keep it afloat. Baird claims that animals go through the same phases of grief as humans do when we experience a loss. Former SeaWorld trainer John Hargrove recalls taking away calves from their mothers even though they would never separate in the wild. Hargrove talked of the distress orca mothers faced after their calf was removed from the tank. SeaWorld called in researches because they did not know what the sound was. It turned out to be long range vocals in an attempt for the mother to reach her calf. If we are comparing orcas to humans, is SeaWorld not kidnapping their children?

In 2015, SeaWorld announced the expansion of their orca tanks, planning to double their size. A year later, they withdrew the plan in an attempt to diffuse legal issues regarding their former breeding programs. The seven orcas at SeaWorld today remain in their 170 foot long tanks.

Clearly these conditions are not suitable for animals as intelligent as orcas, but should they be released? According to Marine Biology student Kayla L. Patama, animals that are released from zoological and marine parks often die soon after. Orcas are given medications, vitamins, and food without having to work for any of it, compromising their hunting instincts. Should SeaWorld release their orcas despite the great risk it may hold for their animals?

I believe the sick orcas should be released or at least relocated to a sea pen so they can live the rest of their lives how they were meant to live. The orcas who are healthy should stay in their marine parks, for it does not make sense to release healthy orcas if they are to die so soon after gaining their freedom.

The treatment of orcas at SeaWorld has been horrific and the consequences that followed changed both the orca’s lives and our own. Despite the progress that has been made, there is still much left to do in order to care for our fellow beings. SeaWorld must own their mistakes and truly focus on conserving these animals and their natural habitat. That is how you encourage the care of animals.

I recently watched the film "Blackfish" for the first time. I was truly horrified by how orcas are treated at SeaWorld, a place that I had visited and poured money into. I want to bring this issue back into the limelight. Given that "Blackfish" was released in 2013, the hype has diminished in the last five years. I believe this is an important issue and we must hold organizations like this accountable for their actions.