Orcas: Evil Geniuses | Teen Ink

Orcas: Evil Geniuses

October 4, 2018
By Anonymous

Free Willy, a timeless classic, no? Full of Laughs, heartwarming moments, and lies. Willy, the Orca in the film behaves drastically different from that of a real orca in captivity and even farther from that of a wild one. In the wild, orcas are evil geniuses that (I kid you not), torture babies for fun. Orca or “Orcinus Orca” is the largest species of dolphin in the world. They grow to be about 23-32 feet and weigh up 6 tons. Their diet consists of seabirds, squid, octopi, sea turtles, rays and fish. They also eat most marine mammals, such as seals and dugongs.


There has only ever been one person that has ever been injured by an orca in the wild. (Captivity, however, is another story entirely. Four people have been killed, and about a dozen more seriously injured by orcas at marine-themed parks like SeaWorld.) So you don't have much to fear unless of course, you are a seal or any other animal it decides would be a tasty snack. Then, you have much to fear. So, so much to fear. Fun Fact- Orcas kill for fun! More than that, most of the time they torture their prey before they finally kill them. Now imagine, you're in a small kayak fishing about a half mile off the coast of the Pacific. A pod of orcas passes a little too close by and you get scared and smack one with our paddle. It becomes visibly agitated. Soon it starts to bump your kayak, harder and harder. Finally sometime later once you think the animals are gone, you see a large wave coming straight for your kayak. The wave crashes into you, knocking you out of your boat and into the frigid water. You start to swim back to your kayak but before you get there a searing pain shoots through your arm and drags you under the surface. You look over and see a black and white figure about the size of a school bus has snapped your arm like a twig, but it doesn't stop there. No, my friend, the ocra holds on pulling you deeper into the abyss. The thrash about the orca, but it doesn't mind, it keeps swimming. The farther down it pulls you the faster your hopes disappear. Until, at last, your lungs screaming, everything goes dark. You let the last of the air in your lungs out and water begins to fill them. You are later pronounced dead, your body cursed to sit at the bottom of the ocean. Ok, that might be a little dark. My point is, the orcas won't eat you they drown you and leave you to die, Fun no?
Orcas have some of the scariest hunt tactics on the Planet. Depending on the different regions, their tactics vary. (It's’ important to notice that orcas travel in pods or normally about 6 but sometimes up to 40. In the bone-chilling waters of the Arctic, they have developed a tactic called “wave washing”. This happens when a pod of orcas comes across seals on any ice floating around. They charge the ice floe in tight formation, making a wave. Just before reaching the ice, they dive underneath, giving a last-second push to the wave with their tails. The resulting wall of water crashes over the ice floe and sweeps the seal off. Another method without a name has been developed by orcas that live of the coast of New Zealand. The orca’s here have quite the taste for sting-rays. This can be a danger however with their barbed tails. So what they do flip the rays upside down sending them to a catatonic state known as "tonic immobility" Then another orca takes the barbed tail off with its teeth so another can eat the ray. Lastly, you might remember me said about torturing babies. Yeah, we're here now. A technic is either ramming “Head On” or Slapping prey with tails (sometimes into the air upwards of 80 feet) to disable prey. Besides helping to disable the prey, the orcas might fling them up into the air just for fun, a cetacean version of playing with its food.


In conclusion, orcas are not to be trusted. They are vile creatures that torture and kill for fun, all the while having a somewhat cute and playful demeanor.


The author's comments:

This was a school piece and my teacher recommended that I try to publish it.