Wild Animals as Pets? | Teen Ink

Wild Animals as Pets?

March 11, 2016
By Anonymous

I was scrolling through Instagram when I came across a picture of a young Melanie Griffith lying in bed with a lion. At first I thought this is Photo shopped who would let their young child touch much less lay with one of the deadliest animals in the world? She’s not the only one, there is a picture of Elvis with his pet kangaroo. 

Josephine Baker had a pet cheetah. Even Audrey Hepburn is guilty of having a pet fawn –It isn’t deadly but does that mean it belongs in a cage?
 

This poses the question, Should people -- celebrity or not be allowed to have wild animals as pets? It’s a question I didn’t think I would ever have to ask. Isn’t it common sense that having a big hungry meat-eating animal wouldn’t be the best idea for a pet? What if you wake up in the middle of the night to your “harmless” pet bear gnawing your arm off? Are you still going to think he's a cute fuzzy toy? Animals have a natural instant to hunt, even domesticated animals can become deadly. The amount of times I’ve heard of pit bull attacks on the news is astounding.
  

Having a wild animal as a pet also hurts the animal. Just imagine you’re just sitting with your family and some weird man comes and grabs you, throws you in a box then tells you to sit and roll over. You wouldn’t be happy so what makes you think an animal would? Tippi Hedren recently revealed her “her regrets at letting beast shared family home.”