Positive Celebrity Influence | Teen Ink

Positive Celebrity Influence

February 8, 2016
By audreypatricia4 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
audreypatricia4 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The word “celebrity” brings a lot of things to mind. The term could be taken to a negative recollection of a celebrity who has gone off the rails because they couldn’t handle the fame, or the term could be taken into a positive stance in which a celebrity has used their fame to benefit the world. The truth is, celebrities do more good than harm with their fame. Celebrities often donate their money to charities worldwide, attend benefits, give positive speeches, contribute to the growing American culture, and much more than the average person notes when thinking about his/her favorite celebrity figure.

Celebrities are always kept watch over, going to the gas station, going on dates, going grocery shopping, at awards shows, gatherings, and of course their social media accounts are always being monitored by fans, critics, spectators, and other celebrities. The pressure on a celebrity to be “perfect” is a lot of pressure. It is how they choose to handle this pressure that is important. Ashton Kutcher is a perfect example who handles the pressure well. Kutcher has grown up, ever since he was young, under the spotlight.


An opportunity that celebrities have to better the world is when they receive an award. After an award is given out the celebrity gets an opportunity to give a speech. Ashton Kutcher received an award at the Teen Choice Award in 2013, and the speech he gave was incredible, noted by many to be a very positive, heart-warming thing that he did to try and better the younger population.


Kutcher gave a speech at this award show that persuaded children all over the globe, that it was cool to be smart. Having intelligence as a kid is not always viewed as “cool” among one’s peers. Kutcher decided to do something about this, he decided to use his influence on children at this awards show, and tell people that being smart is indeed, “sexy”.


Ashton Kutcher is one example of a celebrity that used their stature in society to better it. The amount of kids who felt more confident after they heard that speech is overwhelming. This speech went viral because of how well it was spoken and how unexpected it was. Celebrities do have the opportunity to go clinically insane under the spotlight, but they also have the opportunity to be positive influences on the world around them.


Celebrities ultimately do more good for the world than bad. Celebrities are people too, they make mistakes, act stupid every once in a while, but most of them use their high statures’ to contribute to the world and make it a better place. Ashton Kutcher is one celebrity who did this, but there are many others. Without celebrities, the average person would have no one to look up to outside his/her regular circle of peers. It is important to have a bigger person to look up to, so that one can see the bigger picture. It is important to see the bigger picture of celebrities and to see the positive things that they do for the world in which we share with them.


The author's comments:

This is an article I wrote about how celebrities do more good for society than they do harm.