Listen For His Train | Teen Ink

Listen For His Train

In Jimi Hendrix’s career he has brought the world great music and some serious talent to the table, that it be his lyricism, guitar playing, writing, or his performances.  The man was true inspiration to the people around the world who wished to play music, he has shown such strength and integrity with his career that people through the years have been inspired by his story and music.  He never gave up no matter what kind of barriers he had came up against such as his family, drugs, or racial barriers, he kept up with his music and writing new songs whenever he felt inspired.  The man could write about anything, for example in 1967 Jimi had released a smash hit called The Wind Cries Mary which he had written and performed right after his girlfriend Kathy had gotten into a dispute with him.  The man was a true artist, he could take anything and make it gold, any subject matter that popped into his head was an instant classic the moment he touched that guitar.

It can be seen that Jimi’s life revolved entirely around family issues, starting with his mother who had left him at friends, his grandmother's, and even put him up for adoption while his father was serving in the war.  Once his father had came back he and his wife had been on and off while he was on the search for Jimi. After a year of searching his father, James, had found him and pondered for nearly four months if he should pursue his child further and take him back.  It wasn’t that James wasn’t ready for the stress of a child it was more because Jimi was in such a wonderful home and had the life James knew he could never provide for him.  After he had consulted friends and family he came to the final decision that he wished to bring young Jimi back and noticed that while staying with these people he had picked up a new hobby, the guitar.  Now one thing that had hindered Jimi and his guitar playing was the fact that guitars were only made for right handed people in the 1960’s whilst there was no such thing as a left handed guitar, since back in the 60’s it was seen as evil and satanic to be left handed.  Once back home with his father he had this guitar throughout high school since his family lacked the money to purchase him another one, so he played a childs guitar for well into his adult life. 

Now it is no mystery that Jimi Hendrix did more drugs than a deadhead could ever imagine, and addiction was one of his worst enemies and was one of the things that had ultimately led to his death.  He had such a famous and recognizable history for drugs that people had created so many rumors about this man and his drug addiction, one of the most famous of these rumors was his headband story.  it was said that Jimi would pack his headband full of LSD so that as he would sweat it would run down his face and into his mouth so it would enter his body through both his mouth and his pores.  Now that the gravity of his drug addiction has been explained it understandable that he used his drugs to inspire his music.  His drug raved lifestyle has lead to multiple songs and legendary performances throughout his career but ultimately it hindered his career, and led to his demise.  He had once missed a performance because he had been at a party and was so messed up he couldn’t walk down the stairs to show up. 

Like all minorities in the U.S during the 60’s Jimi suffered from a racial barrier between him and the white public that made up majority of America at the time.  The white people of the country had picketed, burnt, and protested against his music and the fact that a black man had risen to such stardom.  Once in an airport he had flown to England he had been detained in the airport because the airport officials couldn’t find a work permit since they expected he had been nothing more than a black man looking for a job.  It was until his fame came to the public eye when Paul Mccartney had booked in a show as the main event, having someone so influential and popular at the time on his side had greatly helped his image with the youthful white crowd.  After years of segregation and show after show his curse had been broken with the help of another The Beatles band member, Ringo Starr, who had helped him by giving his old flat to him to stay in when he was staying in England. 

The man was a true go with the flow kind of guy, all he cared about was entertaining people and playing his music.  “When we’re on stage, that’s all the world, it’s your whole life” (Jimi Hendrix)  he lived to entertain, he lived for the thrill of seeing people call his name while he was on a stage, he wanted to be remembered.  That he was too, the man is a Rock and Roll icon for everyone in the world, you can’t think of rock and not have Jimi Hendrix come to mind.  His voice, his writing, and his guitar were his tools he had used to bring music and culture where it is today,  as a person I can admit I wouldn’t be the way I am today if it weren’t for the inspiration I was given when hearing his music or reading his story.  He is a true inspiration to all who love music or wish to pursue a career in music, he pushes them to pursue something greater than that one gig at a sleazy bar, that one gig at a charity event, and to that gig where people for miles call for an encore after you play the music you’ve chased for so long.  His train came but it never left, the man sits and watches as the effect he left on the world continues to mend it into something greater.