They're All the Same... | Teen Ink

They're All the Same...

By RohanKhan:) BRONZE, Birmingham, Other
RohanKhan:) BRONZE, Birmingham, Other

Celebrities in this day and age carry a big importance in the way teenagers and young adults behave. If a teenager idolises a certain celebrity for whatever reason, they are more likely to grow in accordance to how they portray themselves. Therefore, rather than expressing importance in flashy cars and materialism, its rather important celebrities show the importance of love and care for others and put their high level of income to good use.

Celebrities everywhere are so important it scares me. So many celebrities out there are worshipped as if they’re God, but let’s be real- they’re all just known for their insanely attractive image and body (which may I add is so unrealistic to strive for, if you want to remain healthy at the same time that is).

Where do I even begin- Beyoncé? Lady Gaga? Rhianna? How about all three, they’re basically all the same to me anyway. I don’t understand their life. I don’t understand their music. None of it. What really agitates me are the ridiculous messages they send out in their music. So many young girls look up to these ladies as if they are what life represents. They strive and aim to be what they are, to become objects and allow themselves to be belittled in society. What our generation doesn’t understand is that no one can get away without being insanely judged by others when attempting to look “seductive” or “provocative” because this is what these mad ladies are exemplifying, that it’s perfectly okay to look and behave like that. I mean, there’s a fine line between expressing yourself as a person, and swinging on a random huge metal ball naked whilst licking a huge hammer (Dear Miley)- it just doesn’t work. People need to understand that life isn’t all about buying the most expensive clothing and owning every single designer brand under the sun. It’s more than that. What these artists should be doing is sending messages to their fan base about love and respect. Yes we all love a good song to rock along to in the club, but I can tell you that about 99.9% of our population do not “love the way you lie” (What stupid lyrics).

Wait, I’m nowhere near done. The men are just as bad. Justin Bieber, Hugh Hefner, Chris Brown. I honestly think some of these “celebrities” need to be taken to some sort of religious group for a good month- they need their life changing. For starters, Hugh Hefner, he isn’t even a celebrity. I’d consider him more of a person who got lucky in life for his name to be known worldwide. He’s quite a stranger character as described in Holly Madison’s book on Cosmopolitan. The playboy mansion, sex, playboy mansion, drugs and the playboy mansion, that’s all he’s known for. I just don’t seem to understand it all. The last thing young boys need is to be told that life is all about that. Life is way more than just mucking around. Education, a good career, good health, these are things we need our generation to aim for, not driving down past your neighbour’s house in a million quid Ferrari throwing round a bunch of eggs and toilet paper… Bieber.

I’m not asking for any of these celebrities to change, not exactly. What would be nice is for them to just understand the complex feelings and emotions they can put their viewers through. Yes, sometimes it isn’t intentional, it’s just for sales, but is that really an acceptable reason to make young boys and girls feel as though they must meet an unrealistic expectation? Or is it acceptable to teach that damaging people’s property and belongings is fine because you own seven private jets and 12 yachts placed in every corner of the world. No. These celebrities are respected for their work and music, but instead of just handing over respect, maybe they should start to earn it.

I wrote this on behalf of my Extended Project Qualification- As Teenlink inspired me I thought I would publish my own opinion piece alongside gain a qualification :)