Celebrities and Their Influence | Teen Ink

Celebrities and Their Influence

Living in a technological era, we have access to the tabloids more than ever before. There are television sets, magazine covers, Internet blogs, and movies screaming to be read and watched, and they are plastered with images of these tacky celebrities. When a life of parties, short-term relationships, drugs, and alcohol are leading celebrities like Britney, Paris, and Lindsay to spiral out of control, you would think that their lifestyle is not ideal. But, fans of these stars disagree. Now, in an age where we have more contact with celebrity gossip than we have ever had, we are faced with a question: what are the effects that superstars have on our youth? Celebrities influence fans to be destructively thin, put harmful substances in their bodies, and many parents are concerned with the overall content these celebrities are putting on television, in movies, and over the Internet. Pop culture idols need to think twice before making a poor decision or practicing awful morals because of their influence on their young fans and other people who may look up to them.

Based on a recent Newsweek poll, 77% of Americans believe that celebrities have too much of an influence on young girls. This effect is especially evident in their appearance and attitudes. One poll participant, a first grade teacher, even noticed her students using derogatory language, singing suggestive song lyrics, and even flirting with each other. With celebrities creating impossible standards of beauty, more and more young adults are feeling 'less confident, more angry, and more dissatisfied' with their looks (National Institute on Media and the Family). Based on a poll, 40% of nine and ten year-olds had tried losing weight and at age thirteen (Body Image and Gender Identity, 2002), 53% of girls were unhappy with their image (National Institute on Media and the Family). Now, this cannot all be blamed on the media, but with celebrities becoming thinner and thinner, much self-confidence is lost and images of television stars or models have been connected to body displeasure (National Institute on Media and the Family). Stars need to be concerned about their image because of the unpleasant fact that it causes young fans to strive to be unhealthily thin. The National Institute of Mental Health estimates that eating disorders affect more than five million Americans a year, with disorders usually beginning in the teens or as early as eight. Celebrities should stay at a safe weight to insure their health and the effects their weight has in influencing their younger viewers.

Based on the latest Kaiser Family Foundation survey, two in every three parents feel that their children are being exposed to too much inappropriate content in the media. Where does this concern come from? 34% of parents stated that they believe that television contain the most inappropriate content. With television shows today including sexual content, violence, and adult language, children are exposed to unsuitable matter for their ages. Since many parents work and are not always at home, kids have access to shows, movies, and the internet blogs that can tell them things that should be left for parents to explain. There is no possible way to end this media frenzy, but experts say that 'attentive parents, strong teachers and nice friends are an excellent counterbalance,' (Newsweek, 2007) to pop culture garbage. Stars need to be more aware of their images because some are allowing younger fans content that many parents do not want their child seeing.

Celebrities do not only have a negative impact on the looks and personalities of fans, but also in their health. With superstars like Kate Moss taking insane amounts of drugs, Amy Winehouse checking into rehab again, and movie stars lighting up their cigarettes on screen, there has to be some effect on their admirers. 88% to 92% of the top twenty-five box office hits since 1995 have contained tobacco use. Celebrities have glamorized smoking in the media and are setting an example for supporters everywhere that it is acceptable to smoke. Pop culture icons need to support a drug free program instead of using harmful substances. Programs like Above the Influence, run by the Office of National Drug Protection, use the media for good instead of making drugs and alcohol seems acceptable to use. Stars should make it a goal to refrain from using drugs and drinking excessive amounts of booze because it sends a message to fans that a life of drugs and alcohol is a satisfactory way to live.

Celebrities need to change the way they act and how they are viewed. Their actions have more of an effect on us then many people believe they have. Thin, addicted celebrities are changing the way many young fans think and act. Celebrities need to change these horrible habits now and realize that they need to be more concerned with themselves and with their portrayal in the media.

Works Cited

Bergsma, PhD., Linda. "Can Media Literacy Impact Youth Smoking?." Blowing Smoke. Summer 2001. Center for Media Literacy. 25 Jan. 2009 .

'Body Image and Gender Identity.' "Media Effect on Girls." 6 Sep. 2002. National Institute on Media and the Family. 22 Jan. 2009 .
Deveny K, Kelley R, Reno J, et al. Girls Gone Bad? (cover story). Newsweek [serial online]. February 12, 2007;149(7):40-47. Available from: MasterFILE Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 23, 2009.

"Facts About Eating Disorders." Eating Disorder Info. National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Eating Disorders. 22 Jan. 2009 .

"Fast Facts." Teen Health and the Media. Washington State Department of Health. 22 Jan. 2009 .
Rideout, Victoria. "A Kaiser Foundation Survey." Parents, Media, and Public Policy. Fall 2004. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. 23 Jan. 2009 .

Witty, Karl. "The Effects of Drug use by Celebrities upon Young People's Drug Use and Perceptions of Use." Celebrities. National Collaborating Center: Drug Prevention. 25 Jan. 2009 .

Young H. When celebrities go wild, parents cringe. Wisconsin State Journal, The (Madison, WI) [serial online]. August 06, 2007. Available from: Newspaper Source, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 23, 2009.

Rojas123 said...
They are spreading love around the world but some of the band members smoke. They are supporting smoking abuse. Im not hatinh just saying

akrasberry said...
akrasberry, Beaufort, South Carolina

Something is always in store for you...

Thanx, used some of your quotes and info in my essay! (Cited ofcourse)

Beyoncé said...
on Sep. 26 2013 at 4:53 am
yo Niall it's Bey. love you lots. Love from Bey, Jay and Blue xxx

Yolo Swag said...
right on, 1D! loving children and spreading this perfect example around the world ;) xoxo

Niall Horan said...
on May. 10 2013 at 8:42 am
i'm a celebrity and i love children x love niall and his nandos

Samantha2 said...
This article is very thought out with great reasearch.  I really enjoyed reading it because I feel this is a major issue for our youth today.  I am always looking for ways to stop this phenominon now that I have children of my own.  

aorocks10 said...
Now she is Dead :(

saranova_92 BRONZE, Wallkill, New York
great essay & so well researched. .i completely agree we need to stop setting up celebrities on pedestals like they're our idols and guides. instead we should be looking up to men and women of true character, who often don't get any fame or recognition. they're often found among family and friends  =)

I.K.R that is some bull shit

whats up with these parents these days i am glad i have good parents

on Feb. 23 2012 at 8:17 am
Musicalartist, Xxxxx, Other
wow, i really like how much research you put into this!  I loved how you worded it all, and I liked learning, but believe me, i did not know much about it until I read your article!  Nice job!

OwlGravy said...
I totally agree me and my friend had a debate on this in school i wish i had read this article before hand because this brings up many good point i could of included.

boob/willy said...
on Oct. 10 2011 at 5:15 am
I think that it is all a load of cakka poopoo

nazze g said...
on Oct. 5 2011 at 3:53 am
ya dats kinda true

nazze g said...
on Oct. 5 2011 at 3:52 am
ya dats true you know

Mikey123 said...
you think your all that well you are. hahha dude thinks she is not all that and + i do make sense

Linta said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 10:22 am
I Truly agree to the solution of this article that the superstars should think about their image themselves before exposing inappropriate content.

Anyone who thinks Amy Winehouse is a positive role model is a moron. More than anything I'd say she's deglamorizing drugs, as they're definitely hurting her success as an artist.

on Jun. 9 2011 at 6:48 am
HorseLover SILVER, Dallas, Texas

"A boat is safe in the harbor. But this is not the purpose of a boat."~Paulo Coelho, author of The Alchemist

I totally agree with this article. I like how you put a works cited at the bottom, too. It really added some credientials to your essay. Talking about all the polls also made you sound you really knew what you were talking about.

on Jun. 8 2011 at 6:54 am
K.M.S.Shear BRONZE, Cherokee, Iowa

"Some people think writing is a waist of their time. For me it’s a way to draw an image of myself through the painting of words."

i kind of agree