How to Make a Life by Working with Video Games | Teen Ink

How to Make a Life by Working with Video Games

By DarkKnightHD1 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
DarkKnightHD1 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

He lived by his belief, he died by his belief. We can't say he was wrong, because no one knows what's right these days.

The video game industry, as we know today, has grown immensely around the globe. People are becoming more and more passionate for video games theses days. Many people today now wants to actually work with video games. But there remains the question, “Can you make your future by working with video games?” The answer is yes, you just have to work for it.
And today the industry has grown so much, that you can now win your future by doing what you love (in other words, you can win money by playing videogames).

Troy Baker, one of the best video game male voice actors in the world, started by doing radio commercials, and after that, he just went up and up, by doing voices of Joel in The Last of Us, Booker DeWitt in Bioshock Infinite, and has upcoming voice actions by doing Two Face in Batman: Arkham Knight, Nathan Drake’s brother Sam in Uncharted 4 and Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain. His work is admired by many video game players today so much, that if he appears even as a side character in a game, you can automatically recognize his voice.

Take Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok , per example, when they opened the Korean servers in 2011, he started playing League of Legends only for fun. He wasn’t planning on becoming a pro player like today. He started playing Ranked Games a lot and he got noticed by SKTelecom T1, and they invited him to their team. Today, he is one of the best Mid Laners in the World and SKT T1 won the World Championship. He now lives like a pro player, everyone that plays League of Legends knows his name, but he is like every normal person that plays the game: he respects everyone, he is very humble and in an interview, he said that to maintain his inner peace, he bought two plant pots. He was still a student when he was noticed, meaning that anyone that has and understands the games skills can become a pro player and may even mean you can be a Champion, even without finishing school. He is like a Cristiano Ronaldo of League of Legends, because he is the best League of Legends player in the world, and he is known internationally in the League of Legends community.

There are other means to win money by playing video games. Another mean is by doing livestreams at Twitch.tv. You make a livestream of yourself playing a game of choice, like League of Legends, and people then can find your stream and start watching. The fun part about this job is that you can interact to your subs directly from the livestream to answer questions, or to simply welcome a new subscriber. There are different types of streamers out there. Some streamers simply stream to entertain other people, but some of them like to teach people how to play, and give them tips on how to perform better in game. You can also interact with other streamers, by doing shout-outs on your streams or creating a group with them. Twitch is a very active video game livestream site, and you could be one member of this growing community.

Another way is the way many people would like to do: by making video games. Naughty Dog is a very, very famous video game industry, like Ubisoft and EA. They made very famous games like Uncharted Series, Jak and Daxter Series, The Last of Us, Crash Bandicoot Series, and others. Many students that like video games say that they want to work with video games, and it’s actually possible to do so. You could be a programmer, developer, producer, tester, and others. To actually work to create new games is a dream come true to many young minds. To work with video games, there is only one thing you absolutely need to be passionate about: Video Games.

To work with video games, it means to decide that your whole life will be centered around 3-Dimensional characters with an infinite amount of scenes and stories to play or create. Many people will say it’s a distraction to avoid being in the real world. But, with so many stories and infinite amount of characters to create and live, how could that possibly be a distraction?