The Ideal People of Power | Teen Ink

The Ideal People of Power

By haikublessyou BRONZE, Anytown, Ohio
haikublessyou BRONZE, Anytown, Ohio

Celebrities are the ideal. They’re the perfection, god-like, face-chiseled masterpieces we strive to be. They are the icons of human form, and the glue of society. The rest of us are flawed. The average human is unknown, and barely leaves an impression. The individual’s impact on the world is relatively small. We, the average, are left feeling miniscule and unwanted. We are turned bitter by the fact that we will never become the ideal perfection of the celebrities above us, so we strive to be like them. We imitate, and try to please. We suck it in, and smoke it out. We are the effects of elite, and the mutations of the evolved. We worship those who have the power, but blame them for our self-critiques. We idealize the Hollywood figure, but hate the way it makes us feel. We hate the power celebrities have over us, because we’re too proud to put the blame on ourselves. We are the majority, and yet they are the ones with all the power. We are helpless.

Since the dawn of time people have looked down upon celebrities that screw up. They become headliners for the latest gossip. We are speechless when hearing of Bruno Mars’ latest drug usage, and Miley Cyrus’ scandalous music video; but barely acknowledge the fact that average people are capable of doing the same. The world has idealized celebrities so much as to make them out to be something they’re not. Something other than humans. We hold them to higher standards than we hold ourselves. We’ve become more accepting of those around us, and therefore ceased blaming our equals for their wrongdoings. Instead, we force blame upon those who are too out of reach to deny it. When teens and lost souls turn to drugs it’s because of celebrity influence. When a 16 year old gets pregnant, it’s because the media glorifies unsafe sex. People do not take responsibility for the parts of life that go awry. Instead, we take pity on those around us, and take up arms against those on the screen. Just because a celebrity’s life is broadcasted through media, does not mean that he does the right thing. Just because people look up to Taylor Swift, does not mean she has the responsibility of a role model. Just because Russell Brand is famous doesn’t mean he doesn’t make mistakes. Celebrities are no better than us, and it’s time we started treating them like we treat each other – like people.

The common Hollywood body image is what a perfect build has morphed into. Dyed- hair and outlined rib cages seem to be the rage. These famous elite actors and actresses exercise and diet to maintain their image. Some of these people are on the verge of an eating disorder, if they haven’t already succumb to one. They suck on ice cubes, and eat nothing but grapes. They are the icon of perfection, and we strive to be like them. In the process we starve ourselves. We push our bodies to the limit – to the breaking point. We go to the extremes, and when we get an extreme result we blame those who caused it. Not ourselves, of course, or the magazines. Not the media, or the movies. Not our peers and their influences; but the celebrities themselves. We blame the people who our enduring similar illnesses – those who can relate – and we blame them for having the power to make us do such unbelievable things. The crazy part is that that they blame us, too; for giving them the power they have over us.

By blaming celebrities, we have become what we’ve created: stereotypes. We have made titles for the druggies, the good-girls, and the partiers; but through this madness we’ve labeled ourselves as hypocrites. We say one thing, and do another. We’re against drugs, but we do them. Anorexia is bad, yet we have it. Celebrities are the spokesmen for stereotypes, but so are we. We’ve taken these perfect, beautiful, charming people, and given them the power to make us question, judge, and compare ourselves. We are the effects of the elite, and the mutations of the evolved; but we are also the corruption. We are the effects of our own corruption. If we didn’t want to be put in a position where we strive to gain a grain of power, we should have thought twice before giving it to them. It now belongs to the god-like, face-chiseled masterpieces we strive to be. They are the ideal. If we want the power back, we can take it. Just know that once we have it, we will have to face our biggest fear. We will have to blame ourselves, for then we will be the ideal.